It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 PM  
(male)

lbb87 HB User
Coumadin and foods to avoid

My grandmother has been on Coumadin for two years after developing a blood clot. She's only supposed to be on Coumadin until her blood results show as normal three times in a row (I think she gets them done every two weeks).

According to grandma, her doctor told her to stay away from green vegetables and that Vitamin K doesn't matter. She has a terrible habit of getting things confused and I'd like to know if this sounds right?

Since she's not allowed to eat broccoli, she's been eating a lot of cauliflower which I thought has a lot of vitamin K and should be avoided. I read somewhere that other foods such as carrots, summer squash, eggs, tomatoes, and potatoes also have vitamin K, although at medium and mild levels. She eats tomatoes everyday and eats potatoes and carrots several times a week. Would any of this be affecting her blood results?

I've asked and even told her that she should double check with her doctor but she won't do it. I'm concerned because her physical and mental health has been slipping and I just want her to be healthy as long as possible. No one else in the family seems concerned.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:42 PM  
(female)

waterfairy HB User
Re: Coumadin and foods to avoid

I'm currently taking 8mg of coumadin a day for a massive blood clot in my leg. It's definitely no fun trying to figure out all of the stuff you can and cannot have while taking this medication, and you really have to do your homework. I commend you for looking out for your Grandmother and trying to help her along the way with this. That's excellent.

The whole thing with Coumadin and Vitamin K is that, from what I've been told, you need to eat a consistant amount of V.K every single day if you DO plan on eating the foods that contain it. Myself, my doctor doesn't want me eating any green veggies or things that contain V.K. because I'm 6 months in with my blood clot and have only just gotten my levels evened out, and that's with me avoiding V.K. at all costs.

If your Grandma is eating cauliflower like there's no tomorrow, it can really effect her PT/INR which is how they measure the thickness of your blood. I would have her talk with her doctor about this, personally, because you are absolutely right, cauliflower is loaded with Vitami K, just like broccoli.

Here are a few things that are high in V.K. which I have found: Most all green veggies, cauliflower, green tea, seaweed, soy and soybean oil, canola oil, mayonnaise (because it's made with soybean oil), ranch dressings (just like the mayo), soy sauce, green herbs like oregano, cilantro, basil, etc., and there are loads more. It takes a LOT of research and talking with doctors. I had to do a lot of my own research because when I left the hospital, all they told me was to stay away from broccoli and salads, but there is SO much more than that.

As far as my research goes, I have found nothing to do with V.K. in potatoes, tomatoes, eggs, carrots, most colored veggies other than green, etc. I can eat any of those and have no problem with my blood thickening.

Also, people who are on Coumadin are not supposed to have any cranberry juice or the fruit...not sure why but I think it effects the thickness of the blood when you're on the blood thinner.

Please keep in mind this is my own personal research and everyone's doctors are different. But I thought I would give you an idea of what I have found and what my doctors told me to stay away from. I hope this helps even just a little. Maybe you could run your concerns by your Grandma and she could ask her doctor, or maybe even go to an appointment with her if that helps.

Best of luck to you both, and again I commend you for looking out for your Grandma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 PM  
(female)

mady3471 HB User

Hello!
The website [url]www.coumadin.com[/url] is now being updated ,but check it out later this week.Grapefruit is a great no no!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM  
(female)

forevermoody HB User

Cranberries and grapefruit apparently increase the effect of Coumadin and can cause bleeding.

I just found out that avocados are a big no-no -- they contain high amounts of vitamin K, and the amount varies from one avocado to the next! Bummer.

Mady, I too applaud you for taking such good care of your Grandma.

Janet