It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
(male)

BiggerMac HB User
Polycythemia itch relief

Like many others, even before diagnosis with this damnable disease I was bothered by itching, particularly after I took a shower. The worst was when the itch was down the middle of my back. I used to keep a long-handled brush in a desk drawer for use when I had to go to work with an attack.
I HAVE FOUND RELIEF..... at least partly..... usually.
The therapy is a hot shower, believe it or not. I don't mean a normal in-and-out, hot-enough shower. I mean a HOT shower, as hot as you can stand it and then hotter as you become accustomed to it. And stay in there with the water spraying hard directly on the areas where you itch for at least fifteen minutes.
Not uncommonly I get out of bed in the middle of the night after a nasty sweat turns in to itching. I zomby-walk to the shower and turn it on hot and heavy. Within a half hour I'm back in bed and back to sleep in minutes. My wife is so used to it now she doesn't even wake up.
I've also used the whirlpool bath and got pretty good results but it's hard to keep the stream of water just where I want it and harder still to keep the temp us as high as it needs to be.
Try it. You might like it.
BiggerMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread