It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
(male)

petergreen HB User
Healing After DVT Deep Vein Thrombosis

I am 43 and had a DVT blood clot diagnosed in my right calf about 6 weeks ago. I went by ambulance to the hospital and was told it looked serious. I laid in bed and was tested, and then released and am on Coumadin. Now, i am elevating my leg, even as I type this, but am wondering, if anything from washing dishes to going to the washroom makes my leg red and veins bulge, should I be laying down? How long should I be sitting? Or walking? See, I live alone so I have a hard time keeping track of time, meals, and even sleep.

Experiences, advice, and sites would be appreciated. Thank you very much~!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
(female)

ummok88 HB User
Re: Healing After DVT Deep Vein Thrombosis

Hi there! Well, it has been a crazy year for me with my DVT. I was diagnosed with it on January 27th of this year. It was caused from Birth control pills and taking a long car ride. I had no idea at the time that I had a clot until my leg swelled up and turned purple. In the beginning I was on Lovenox injections and then switched to Coumadin. I was not doing well with just coumadin alone, so I was switched back to lovenox and coumadin together. Sometimes the pain seemed unbearable. I was on Vicodin for pain for several months. You just have to take one day at a time. Don't over do it. Since you are 6 weeks out, you shouldn't worry that a piece will break off anymore. It is pretty stuck to that vein wall by now. Your body just needs to do its job of breaking it down. I wore compression stockings for about 2 months. It really helped ease the pain and swelling. It honestly took about 5 months total for me to feel like myself again and about 7 total months for the purple color to not happen everytime I stood longer than 5 minutes. I am now 11 months into treatment. I was changed over to just Lovenox in April because I got pregnant. It took 5 months for my clot to be almost completely resolved. It was in my left leg and was from my groin solid down to my ankle. I haven't had any problems with it in about 4-5 months. I no longer have pain, occassional swelling and redness if I stand or sit too long. They said it would take 6 months and i would be better. Honestly, I am glad I have had treatment for about a year, I think my outcome has been better with longer treatment! Best of luck to you. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread