It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
(male)

station565 HB User
Diagnosed with ET, now my numbers have dropped back to "normal"........

I am new here - first post - but I am hoping for some info/feedback. I have had high platelet counts for a year and a half.......between 500 and 600.........diagnosed with ET this past summer.........taking 81g aspirin.....and yesterday's lab results came back with a number of 351 !! This is very confusing and somewhat hard on the head. Something appears to be happening with my body, but I am not sure what. I am 53 and male. Anybody else out there on this particular roller coaster ? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

rene24 HB User
Re: Diagnosed with ET, now my numbers have dropped back to "normal"........

Quote:
Originally Posted by station565 View Post
I am new here - first post - but I am hoping for some info/feedback. I have had high platelet counts for a year and a half.......between 500 and 600.........diagnosed with ET this past summer.........taking 81g aspirin.....and yesterday's lab results came back with a number of 351 !! This is very confusing and somewhat hard on the head. Something appears to be happening with my body, but I am not sure what. I am 53 and male. Anybody else out there on this particular roller coaster ? Thanks.
Hello, Just finished reading your story, and let me say that if your platelets were between 500-600, that is a little high, but not bad. When I was first diagnosed my level was 560, and since then they have went over the 1 million mark several times. Your recent lab results are within normal range. Sometimes platelets increase due to infection, or possible something else going on in your body. Myself, I am also on a 81g aspirin, but I am also on Hydoxyurea, which decreases my platelet count. Just keep a check on your levels, and taking your aspirin. By the way, do you suffer from headaches? Take care and I wish you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
(male)

station565 HB User

Thanks for your response. I have headaches often - as in most days. Low level (background) headaches. I used to have alot of muigraines and took Zomig when then were unbearable. I now rarely have them (yahoo). I went yesterday to the blood lab and now wait until the next visit to the doctor to see the numbers. The hemotologist was of the mind that I have Esssential Thromobocytosis, but told me not to be surprised if he changes that diagnosis to Polcythemia Vera. The JAK-2 test showed negative. I only wish that they knew for certain what is happening in my body........

Old 01-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
(female)

rene24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by station565 View Post
Thanks for your response. I have headaches often - as in most days. Low level (background) headaches. I used to have alot of muigraines and took Zomig when then were unbearable. I now rarely have them (yahoo). I went yesterday to the blood lab and now wait until the next visit to the doctor to see the numbers. The hemotologist was of the mind that I have Esssential Thromobocytosis, but told me not to be surprised if he changes that diagnosis to Polcythemia Vera. The JAK-2 test showed negative. I only wish that they knew for certain what is happening in my body........
Hello Again, I asked about the headaches because I have suffered with them all my life. I read where a lot of people with ET seem to suffer with headaches. Just wondering if there was a connection. Although I might add that i have also been diagnosed with a low grade tumor in the front part of my brain. So maybe my headaches are caused by that tumor. I have been going to a hemotologist for 3 years now, and we cannot get my levels under control. As soon as he decreases my meds, my platelets go high again. My doctor seems to think I have Reactive Thrombocytosis, as opposed to Essential. All of my tests are good, but I do not react to the meds. I have been on doses as high as 3000 milligrams a day! I, too, wish I knew what was happening to my body! Keep going until you find an answer, and hang in there. Best of luck to you, and let me know how you are making out.

Closed Thread