It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

melody31 HB User
what kind of pain reliever can i take while taking coumadin?

what kind of pain reliever can i take while taking coumadin?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
(female)

waterfairy HB User
Re: what kind of pain reliever can i take while taking coumadin?

The safest one for people taking Coumadin is usually Tylenol. All of the other drugs like Advil, Asprin, Aleve and pain relievers like that can effect the Coumadin and increase the chances of the blood thinning and have issues like stomach bleeding. One thing I have found, is that my local pharmacist is very helpful in helping me find OTC (over the counter) drugs that work well while being on Coumadin. Maybe you could run your concerns by your pharmacist, and they could help you find something that works for you. Best of luck! I know it's very hard trying to figure out what you can and cannot take while on Coumadin...I continue to learn new things while on the medication!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: what kind of pain reliever can i take while taking coumadin?

Agree that Tylenol is about the only safe over the counter med. I've had to ask for prescription meds (Darvocet and Ultram), which also have some effect on the Coumadin, but less risk of excessive bleeding than with the ibuprofen/naproxen meds. Excedrin Tension headache does not have aspirin in it (like regular Excedrin).....it's good for things besides headaches. Also, muscle creams might help some pain.

Closed Thread