It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

Taja7 HB User
Blood dissorder related to anorexia?

Hi ya'all,
I am new to these boards, and this is my first post. I have browsed these many posts so far back looking for any relation to these two topics. I am a 35 year old pretty healthy female.

I have recently been sent to a hematologist for low white blood count (which has been off and on low for about 2 years). They just did the first consultation with many tubes of blood drawn for testing of major blood dissorders, I am told that depending on how they come back that my next step is a BMB. I am very afraid, but I am also convinced from my own research that the reason for my low white count may be from my other issues and not a blood dissorder....
you see I am a recovering anorexic...I am about 15 months into recovery, however I have been struggling hard with it for at least 2-3 years. I have put on enough weight over the last 12 months that I now appear to be of normal weight, but I still struggle regularly with restriction, sometimes for weeks at a time. I have told the hematologist my history and he doesn't act as if it is a issue. He said diet and nutrition can play a role, but I am not sure that he has experience with that. I have read that anorexia can cause low white blood count. I appear to look of healthy weight and have no other symptoms, and I feel healthy, but sometimes I cannot have healthy relationships with food. Has anybody else had an experience with this. I am afraid the hematologist is jumping the gun.
Taja
[/FONT]

Last edited by Taja7; 01-04-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wrong age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
(female)

tracygirl HB User
Re: Blood dissorder related to anorexia?

Hi Taja7. Hope your doing well. Have you received your results back from the hemotologist yet? Maybe if you post your actual counts on the board you can get some more answers. How low was your wbc count and differential? The differential numbers are important to note. I have also read that anorexia can cause low numbers, but I am certainly not an expert. All the best.

Closed Thread