It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
why do my platelets clump?

Hi everyone: I am so frustrated. Every year when I have my blood drawn for the platelet count, the lab tech. does it wrong. It's supposed to be in the citrate tube and I know she did use the light blue topped vial, but somehow she "did it incorrectly" as my Dr. stated. So, I have to repeat the test and this time do it at the hospital lab. Well, my Dr. forgot that last year he sent me to the hospital lab after Labcorps screwed up my test and that tech. did it wrong too. I have invisible veins which makes things even worse. I asked the lab tech. the other day if she could do it on top of my right hand as more blood comes out of that vein. First, she did it in my arm and the blood came out very slowly and there wasn't enough for the platelet count. So, then she did it on top of my hand and I wish she had done it there the first time. I don't know what she did, but I'm so ****** and upset that I have to repeat the blood test again and I figure that whoever does it will screw it up again. I still have a huge green and purple bruise on top of my hand from the blood draw a week ago. Does anyone else experience this? I feel like I'm the only one who goes through this constantly. TIA.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: why do my platelets clump?

Hi Sunshine.
I have ITP, so I know all about those fun bruises after blood draws. I too, am a clumper. It helps if you drink pineapple juice! True! It helps the blood not clump. And also to make sure you're well hydrated and warm before a blood draw - that makes your veins pop more - I always drink a lot of water at least a couple of hours before.

And yes, they do have to use special tubes for my blood draws too. Ask your dr about the color, and then keep an eagle eye on the lab tech - if you see them reach for the wrong color, remind them. Tell them you're a clumper! It will ease the tension and keep them from making a mistake.

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I saw the tech use the light blue topped vial which is the right one, yet she still messed up. Today, we're going to the hospital lab to see if they can do it right. Thanks for the info. I've never heard that before about pineapple juice.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I went today for the blood draw. The guy who did it knew what he was doing, so I hope I won't need to do it again anytime soon.

Closed Thread