It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Alternatives to Coumadin/Warfarin?

I've been taking Lovenox shots for quite a few months now, and I am more than ready to stop them. My doctor seems to think that Coumadin is the next step (I was on Coumadin before, then it "didn't" work so I stuck with Lovenox for the last several months). Since it hasn't been a year yet (and I had pretty severe clots), I don't think I can just be free of blood thinners.

I have read that some people can get by with just taking an aspirin per day. Anyone heard of this? Or does anyone know of a blood thinner other than Coumadin/Warfarin (one that doesn't require blood tests all the time or restriction of Vitamin K)?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
(female)

gclaec HB Usergclaec HB User
Re: Alternatives to Coumadin/Warfarin?

Hello,

I have been on Lovenox for 2 years because I am not able to take coumadin. I also had a filter placed 2 years ago, which is suppose to stop clots, but because of APS I still need to have Lovenox. I was told there is no other medicine at this time, and asprin alone is not enough (besides I am allergic to asprin).

I know it is such a pain, I am going in to have hysterectomy next week and all my clots came from my pelvic region so there is a huge risk. Unfortunatly I do not have a choice and must have surgery. Good luck, let me know if you find another remidy I sure would love to give my belly some releif!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

I really feel for you guys! I only had to do lovenox for a week and it was so painful.

gclaec....good luck to you with your upcoming surgery!
PCOS

Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Two years? Gosh, sorry to hear that! I definitely shouldn't complain...

Can Lovenox shots only be taken through the stomach? I haven't heard of taking them any other way, but wonder if it's possible. I know they need to be taken in a spot with a lot of fat, and I feel like my butt has a lot more than my stomach

I hope all goes well for you with your hysterectomy. Take care of yourself!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

bivi686 HB User
Unhappy Re: Alternatives to Coumadin/Warfarin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerstrength86 View Post
Two years? Gosh, sorry to hear that! I definitely shouldn't complain...

Can Lovenox shots only be taken through the stomach? I haven't heard of taking them any other way, but wonder if it's possible. I know they need to be taken in a spot with a lot of fat, and I feel like my butt has a lot more than my stomach

I hope all goes well for you with your hysterectomy. Take care of yourself!
Hi,
I just joined in to Health Boards I felt I needed to be in touch with other persons in the same boat as I am to share our experiences.
I hope everything went well with your hysterectomy...I had mine done back in 98 and I was glad I had it done. I was admitted in the hospital at the end of August with A Fib and I was injected for four days with Lovenox in the stomach it was painful. I dreaded when I saw the clock between 9:30 -10:00pm as I saw the nurse walking in my room with the syringe in her hand and from the beginning of September I started taking Warfarin. It has not been easy although is a life sustaining medication it has changed my life 360 degrees. It has many restrictions from eating green vegetables, to taking many medicines, not being able to have a drink, not being able to go on long trips. My name for it is "Mafia" once you start you gotta keep taking it. However little by little I am learning to accept it, I have no choice.

Take care

Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
(female)

bivi686 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerstrength86 View Post
I've been taking Lovenox shots for quite a few months now, and I am more than ready to stop them. My doctor seems to think that Coumadin is the next step (I was on Coumadin before, then it "didn't" work so I stuck with Lovenox for the last several months). Since it hasn't been a year yet (and I had pretty severe clots), I don't think I can just be free of blood thinners.

I have read that some people can get by with just taking an aspirin per day. Anyone heard of this? Or does anyone know of a blood thinner other than Coumadin/Warfarin (one that doesn't require blood tests all the time or restriction of Vitamin K)?
Hi,
I just joined in Health Boards to get in touch with other persons suffering from the same/similar health issues as mine. I was admitted late August in the hospital for A Fib my heart was racing super fast and my blood was thick. I was injected with Lovenox for four nights it was very painful. When I was discharged I was prescribed Warfarin. The milligram has been been increased ever since to 8 mg which is high but they say my blood is thick. Another inconvenience with this medicine you gotta be monitor with regular blood tests regularly . I named the medicine the "mafia". Some people can get by with aspirin alone cause their health issues are probably not as complicated as ours. Anyway I heard that aspirin messes up your stomach with heart burn or ulcers. My worst fear is the cons this medicine can have in the long run although so far nothing bad has been said about Warfarin/Coumadin.

Be well

Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
(male)

heavyD68 HB User

Sure wish I could help for a suggestion on a different med. I get so tired of the red tape. Iv been on coumiden/warfarin for 23 years. Ever since I was 17. I got hit in the groin during swim practice in Dec 1985. I was seen by a nurse practitioner who diganosed me with kidney problems. Two weeks later I could hardly move my Rt leg let alone fit it in the pant leg it was so swollen. They thought it was cancer. Even had the priest come in to talk to me, last rights and all, I think. Then I was mercy flighted from the local hospital to one that had the proper equipment about 50-60 miles away. Spent one month with my Rt leg completly filled with one big clot. It started spreding to my abdomen. Was sent home after they thought they had it under control, and three days later I was back in with half of my left leg clotted. Another month, two months total. Oh my god, I had so many tests taken the second time I was in they gave me two units of blood caus they were takeing so much out. Three to five tubes of blood three or more times a day. Fleebograms (hated the needels in the feet), vienograms, IV's, dye tests!!!!Arrrrg!!! I got so used to it Id joke they could go rest, I knew how to do it better than they did. I was on an IV drip of urokinase (your-o-ky-nase)for awhile. Apparently It was experimental as they said it usually is not given that way. They ran out and had to use streptokinase because its was all they could get untill more uro came in. Boy did they knock my but out when they gave me that!!! I was told many different things. I could'nt work around heavy equipment or power tools because I was now a bleeder. Limit my intake of green leafys. Blood work done once or twice a week. Well I wish I could say iv done all those things religiously my whole life......but. Iv eaten loads of salad, driven my brother hundreds of miles at a time,love to ride motercycles, worked with power tools, forgoten my meds for two or three days at a time, worked with heavy equipment, chainsaws, machetes, axes,ect. Iv never had a problem with my bleeding not being able to stop. I got a good hole in my leg from a machete, got seven stiches under my lip and put my tooth through it when I got hit in the face with a steel bar, had an old drugest give me 5mg tablets insted of 2.5mg and bled internaly (boy does it burn when you poop blood), my PT was around 54 or so. I was a smoker for almost 14 years (quit about 8-9 years ago), drank as often and as much (or little) as I wanted. Iv been banged, bumped, knocked, wacked, poked, kicked and a various variaty of other funny sounding things.
I lost my insurance for the second time (the 10% hike a year every year) about 5 or 6 years ago. Thats about how many times Iv had my blood work done in as long. Now I have to find another Dr. Thats going to cost me about 100 bucks just to get a script for my meds. Im on it for life, why can't I get a life time script. If I knew how to get the strict 9 out of rat poison Id just "nibble" on that.
WHEW! I guess Id better stop before this turns into a novel. Thanks for letting me ramble. I don't get to meet people who have this condition. Its nice to be able to know Im not alone. I do have trouble with my Rt leg now and then (cramping or tightness) and pain near my kidney where I first felt it 23 years ago. Other than that Im ornary as ever. Thanks again, and Im sorry for any mis spellings or bad punctuation.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

bivi686 HB User

Hi,

Wow! you've been on Coumadin for twenty-three years...have you ever had through the years any problems with the liver or kidneys for taking this medication?

A week and a half ago after having pains in my legs during the night & waking me up I decided to lower my Coumadin by 1.5 mg. I did call the hospital and left messages letting them know the above & have a nurse/doctor return my calls but unfortunately they did not return my call. The week I took a lower dosage I felt great, no pains on my legs. However when I went to my regular blood test they notice a difference in my blood and asked me if I had forgotten to take a few dosages of Coumadin and I told the nurse what I had done. She told me it was a dangerous decision I had made and I had to take for two nights 10mg then on the third night to take 8mg. After a week I was asked to go back for another blood test I guess to make sure I was taking the proper dosage.

I can imagine how you feel...all I know is that this medicine made a 360 degree turn to my life since it has many restrictions. Even when I was sick with a cold and later with a stomach virus I was not able to take any medicines it was the pits. I miss eating green vegetables although I been a bit daring and eaten a very small amount to satisfy my craving once in awhile. I heard you can't sit or stand beyond two hours so taking a long trip is out. I don't smoke but I miss being able to have a drink when I go out. Sometimes it doesn't bother me and I accept the fact that I have to indefinitely take this medicine but I have days that I feel down on the dumps but I quickly remind myself that I have a twenty-two month old grandson that I love with all my heart and I want to be around for his High School and College graduation and this gives me strength to keep going but is not easy.

I just heard that another blood thinner medicine called Heparin made in China used by patients on dialysis is tainted and that there has been nineteen cases where patients have died....is scary.

I pray that somewhere soon there's a doctor/scientist that comes out with a medicine for Coumadin patients that it can be taken once a week instead of 24/7 with less restrictions. It would be a + for us patients.

Be Well

Old 03-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
(female)

bivi686 HB User

Hi,
I been taking Coumadin/Warfarin almost a year after being admitted in the hospital diagnosed with A Fib and my blood being thick. I was in the hospital for four days and I was injected with Lovenox every night (very painful).
When I was discharged I was told that I would have to be on this medicine indefinitely and that I had to go for regular blood tests . I must say it changed my life forever. I am grateful it helps me stay alive but like you wrote is a restrictive medicine so I too I am looking for a miracle that one day soon it will be decided that patients like us don't have to go regularly for blood tests , plus it would be a + if one could eat green vegetables rich in vitamins and anti cancer.
It would be a double + if we could take the Coumadin/Warfarin once a week instead of everyday. Well we gotta keep our Faith and continue being optimistic that it could happen one of these days (hopefully soon).

Be Well

Bivi

Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Sorry to hear about what you all have been through!

I have celiac disease, so I feel like my diet is restricted enough as it is. I LOVE my veggies and refuse to give them up. When I was on Coumadin, I was on 15 mg per day, and that was with watching my Vitamin K intake. Even though my stomach is swollen and bruised from the Lovenox, I would much rather be taking shots twice a day then spend so much time getting blood tests at the hospital and analyzing what I'm eating. It's definitely a trade-off but on Lovenox I feel more independent.

Good luck to everyone. Take care of yourselves, hang in there!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
(female)

bivi686 HB User

If you are taking the Lovenox shots instead of the Coumadin/Warfarin then you actually have freedom to eat green vegetables?
I remember when I was hospitalized in the summer I was given the shots they gave me broccoli and salad with my meals.
Are the Lovenox shots expensive? do you give yourself the shots?
That's a + you don't have to go for regular blood work like I do...is inconvenient.
Do you ever get itching on your back or sides of stomach? I get them on and off.
Thanks for your time.

Bivi

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Yes, being on the shots does NOT require monitoring vitamin K levels, nor do you have to get blood tests all the time (I just get a monthly test to check my platelets).

Lovenox shots are very expensive...over $100 a shot...but my insurance covers a lot of it. I give myself one shot twice a day (there is also a type that you only have to give one shot per day) into my stomach. I'm fairly thin (so I don't have a lot of extra belly fat), but the needle is thin and easy to get used to after a while. Bruising where the shot is taken is common, but seems to heal relatively quickly.

I do get itching, but I think it's just from dry skin. I feel SO much better than I did on Coumadin (I know "they say" Coumadin doesn't have any side effects, but I never felt good and started losing my hair).

I'm not sure if your doctor would want to have you switch methods. Lovenox is similar to Heparin, just not as strong. So, from what I understand, it works differently than Coumadin.

Last edited by innerstrength86; 03-27-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
(female)

bivi686 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply I appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions.
How are you feeling these days?
I had to go to the ER last Friday for A Fib my heart was racing almost two hundred and my blood pressure got high...this is unusual for me since I've always had it low to normal range. However since last Wednesday I caught a sore throat with a nasty cough and after not sleeping for three nights I was exhausted and disgusted and took a teaspoon of Bromemane cough syrup without thinking of the consequences that I would have later on. I took it before 9:00am and after a half an hour I felt good no reaction, no coughing. I went down to the deli around the block of my house and coming back I notice I was sweating, I began walking as if I was drunk, my heart began pounding fast thank god I was already about twenty feet from my house as I sat on the entrance stairs I blacked out for a minute and came to still feeling weak. I called 911 and the ambulance came shortly, We flew to the hospital my heart beat was nearly two hundred. The doctors normalized my heart with a shot and gave me Xanax to relax me. The also prescribed Atelenol for the irregular heart beat. I still have the nasty cough especially at night and I can't believe there's nothing I can't take to alleviate and make it stop. It seems that the medicines content affects the rhythm of my heart. What am I suppose to do stay in my house always so I don't get sick with viruses. At the present time my immune system is weak before all this happened I hardly got sick and if I did it lasted for three days. I've also noticed that my hair that was always strong has gotten weaker so it must be the coumadin.

I am sorry for writing so much...is just one of those days you need to vent out.

Take care

Closed Thread