It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

nerak1962 HB User
Unhappy HELP - LOW HCT and RBC - HIGH Platelet, MCV and MCH

45 year old female:
I am going to see my GP next Wednesday.

For 20+ years I have suffered from Bowel problems (diahorrea and Constipation) Stomach problems (bloating, pain, and gas).

My eyesight has deteriorated every year for 2 years requiring new prescriptions each year.

My hearing has worsened over the past 2 years.

I suffer from dizziness, light headedness, chest pain (on occassions), headaches, fatigue and DEPRESSION.

More recently I have had 'pain in the joints of my thumbs, GP said it was arthritus

I was diagnosed with excess stomach acid and take Omperazole for the past year.

I have high Cholesterol and Blood Pressure for which I take medication (Statins and Cardura)

I have had repeated chest and kidney/bladder infections.

All of the above has worsened over time.

For 20+ years I have CONSISTENTLY LOW HCT and RBC
CONSISTENTLY HIGH Platelet, MCV and MCH.

The above results appear to get worse with age.

My GP told me:
a) A high MCV was 'probably normal for me'

b) That I was a drinker!!! - I told him that I DIDNT drink but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. He equated a high MCV with alcohol.

c) Because I have had a history of depression for 20+ years it was all in my mind!

He also told me that as my 'symptoms' were vague and no 'real' cause could be found that he suspected I had a Somatoform disorder - in other words it was in my head!

I was so disgusted at his 'attitude'.

A friend suggested that I obtain all of my blood test results from my GP and collate them. Which I did, dating back 20+ years.
Hence: Low HCT and RBC High platelet, mcv and mch

My GP seems to have written of my 'illnesses' over the years as in my head because of a history of depression.

I want to be able to go to my GP on Wednesday with some possible diagnosis that he could follow up.

I have done 2 home tests for celiac disease and these were negative.

Could it be b12 deficiency? and if so what could cause it other then celiac?

My GP told me last year that 'I may need B12 injections' but he wanted to take a blood test to 'check' - He has it was ok. How can that be if I have a high mcv,platelet and mch with low hct and rbc?

What definitive test is there for B12 deficiency? I need to be able to ask for it on Wednesday.

I have felt rotten for years and in recent months its not getting any easier, I want to be able to see GP and give him the evidence of the blood tests I collated and get him to 'do what he should have done years ago'.

I am ONLY 45 and feel 70, certainly my body feels 70+

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread