It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
(female)

katy1766 HB User
Doctor said to take 12 advil a day while on coumadin...!

I just got out of the hospital (again) for a blood clot, and I'm on coumadin. The doctor taking care of me refused to give me a prescription for pain. He told the nurse who told me to take three ibuprofen every six hours, or 12 a day.

I blinked and said, are you SURE? I asked that three times and finally had the nurse write it down cause it seemed so implausible.

Has anyone heard of a doctor prescribing that much ibuprofen for a patient on coumadin with a blood clot? Isn't that dangerous?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
(female)

katiebugs123456 HB User
Re: Doctor said to take 12 advil a day while on coumadin...!

Before the introduction of other drugs like Mobic and Celebrex, Ibuprofen was prescribed regularly.

After Othro knee surgery one time, I was instructed to take 4 at a time, or 800 mg. That is the maximum dose.

Would suggest that you eat before you take it as it is really hard on your stomach.

Sometimes when I run out of Mobic, I still take it and it works well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

But I wouldn't do it long term - it is very hard on your kidneys at that dose. I don't understand why you can't take like Tylenol 3 or Darvocet? I know that blood clots can be excrutiating!

Jill

Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

eavabug HB User

Itís hard to say because I don't know the reason for your blood clot but because I've had two blood clots and will have to take Coumadin for the rest of my life I feel the need to respond to this post. I've been told by my doctor to never take Advil or Ibuprofen and to only take Tylenol if I need to. Youíre extremely limited to what types of medication you can take while taking Coumadin and I would suggest speaking with a pharmacist about a possible pain medication that wonít interfere with the Coumadin.

12 Advils a day seem excessive to me and if you decide to go that route I would make sure to eat anytime you take them

Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
(male)

FRG03 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy1766 View Post
I just got out of the hospital (again) for a blood clot, and I'm on coumadin. The doctor taking care of me refused to give me a prescription for pain. He told the nurse who told me to take three ibuprofen every six hours, or 12 a day.

I blinked and said, are you SURE? I asked that three times and finally had the nurse write it down cause it seemed so implausible.

Has anyone heard of a doctor prescribing that much ibuprofen for a patient on coumadin with a blood clot? Isn't that dangerous?

Does your doctor know you are on coumadin? is this the same doctor that prescribe you this coumadin? Ibuprofen has an anti platelet effect on it. Coumadin+ibuprofen= hemorrhage (bleeding).

Closed Thread