It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
(female)

marnb77 HB User
Please help!!!

Since getting back from Japan it seems that I have acquired a virus (it started with loss of appetite, nausea, diahrrea, low grade fevers of 99). I saw my doctor 3 times and he said not to worry, that it was viral and it would have to run it's course. He also ran 3 different blood tests (all which came back normal) and a crp and sed rate. The CRP came back normal and the sed rate came back at 39 and he said not to worry.
Cut to a week later and I am still feeling lousy, so I went to my aunt's doctor last monday (he is supposed to be the best) and he ran tons of different tests. I think they took about 5 vials of blood and a stool sample. That wednesday his associate called and said they couldn't find anything wrong, only that my urine showed I was very dehydrated and malnourished. Also, they sent my blood to a hemotologist who looked at a smear and said there was some evidence of leukocytosis. So my doctor made me a follow up appointment for today. I have actually been feeling a bit better, my appetite had slowly come back so I assumed I was getting better. The only thing i still have are the low grade 99 fevers.
So today he examined me and went over my results with me again stating the "you have a travelers virus" and you will be ok. I then asked him if he did a sed rate rest on me last week with all his other testing and he asked the nurse who said "yes, it was a 73." I was floored that my sed rate had gone that high and when I asked him about it, he didn't seem concerned at all. I then went on to ask if he could please repeat the test today, and he did, so when I called back later this afternoon he said it had dropped to a 63. I have no idea what to think of all this and am really scared now. He didn't seem the least concerned but I am. Everything I have read about high sed rates look scary and I really need some input if you have any at all.
Again, I am so sorry for the long post. Thank you for any advice or input you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: Please help!!!

A high sed rate is a non-specific indicator that there is inflammation in your body. You can think of it like a loss of appetite - it's a symptom that can be caused by many different things, but in and of itself, it's not dangerous.

Sed rates become elevated during a virus or an infection. They also become elevated with autoimmune disorders - but usually with something like lupus or RA, you'd see a Sed rate over 100.

You need to keep an eye on your sed rate, but it looks like it's going down. Since your CBC was good, I wouldn't be too worried, but you definitely still need to be monitored.

Keep an eye on that fever, get plenty of rest and liquids, and try not to worrry! (I know, easier said than done.)

Jill

Last edited by japlopper; 04-30-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: fix typo

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

marnb77 HB User
Re: Please help!!!

Thank you for always answering my posts Jill! I will try and relax and keep you posted...

Closed Thread