It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
(female)

gmwnyc HB User
low platelet question

About two weeks ago i went to my dr for a general checkup although I was feeling fine -- I was hoping to get pregnant soon so just wanted to get a clean bill of health. He did a routine blood test that showed my platelet count at 123,000. he told me that he was pretty sure it was just a product of my platelets clumping because of the chemical they mix in to do the count, but if i wanted to retest it with a different method (sodium citrate) we could do that. i got that test done and the results are 110,000 (although the women doing the test didn't nearly fill the tube 90% as the form instructed her to do). my doctor said that the mistake in the testing could have thrown things off, but just to make sure he wants me to see a hematologist who will count my platelets under a microscope which he says is the only way to get a really accurate count. Are these numbers low enough to have ITP? everything else in my blood work was normal. my mpv was normal but on the very high end of normal.

im now worried that all of this will delay my plans to get pregnant and possibly cause complications when i do... if anyone has any thoughts i'd appreciate it. the hematologist wont see me for a few more weeks and i'm anxious to find out more information about what might be going on!

thanks!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: low platelet question

A count of 110,000 isn't too terrible. Even with ITP, if my count was at 110,000, my hema wouldn't do anything but watch me. Most hematologists today don't treat unless the count goes under 30,000 or if the patient shows bleeding - ie gums, etc. In the past ITP was really overtreated, and the medicines can be more harmful than slightly lower counts.

Everyone has different platelet counts from day to day. It can range quite a bit just in one day, so I wouldn't be concerned. You've just got to know the trends. Certain medicines or herbs can suppress the platelet production. Look for thrombocytopenia as a side effect in your medicines.

You'll want to do a follow up test to make sure it's not going down. Signs of ITP are easy bruising, petechia(small red dots under the skin when you scratch or from socks or your waistband), bleeding excessively after knicking after shaving. When my counts are very low, my bruises are immediate and bright blue - and they don't go away for months.

So stay vigil, but don't worry. And even if you do have ITP, you can still have a baby - I did! And he doesn't have any platelet problems. It's a very manageable condition once you get the right drs and treatment plan.

Take care,
Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

gmwnyc HB User

thanks so much for the message. I just hope i can see a doctor soon and a a definite answer. i think i'll feel better once i know one way or the other what is going on. you mentioned that there are foods & medicines that can bring the platelet count down. do you know off hand what these are? I haven't been able to find any information about dietary changes to raise platelets.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

Hi, gwm. <removed>

some say that sesame oil might raise platelets. It has to do with essential fatty acids (omega-9s, IIRC)

what you might instead focus on is avoiding things that reduce platelet activity - like fish oil, vit E etc I.e., they are blood thinners.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-09-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
(female)

cin32 HB User

I have had Sjogren's Syndrome for about 15 years but just recently noticed that I was bruising easily. I went to my Dr. this week and he told me my platelet count is only 11,000. From what I have read that is quite low. The thing is, I have had dental work done recently and also nicked my legs while shaving and not bled anymore that normal. Can a test be that off?

Closed Thread