It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

billy88 HB User
DVT (deep vein thrombosis) blood clot

Hello, I am a male, 65 yrs old. I have a history of DVT in family (father). I got a dvt 11 months ago on a private small plane flight of 3 hrs duration. Doctor said it was a large one. Was in hospital 5 days,ots of pain, lower left leg very swollen. On cumodin 6 months,doctor said all was normal. Here is my question. Is there any specific physical therapy I can do to get my leg healthy again or am I stuck with this swollen leg for rest of my life? I was very active before, long hikes with lots of climbing. Now if I try to do much leg gets very swollen & I back off.
BP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: DVT (deep vein thrombosis) blood clot

Wow...i would like to know WHY your leg is still swollen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

cynthiaw4 HB User

HI
I am 37 years old and my first blood clot was in my left leg when I was 20. My leg still swells up everyday. I sleep with my leg up on a pillow and sometimes that works. I just had a PE in January and I'm Factor iv

Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

JamieeR HB User

Hi BP--
Bad news if you are anything like me-- your leg will probably swell quite often. It has only been six months so that is part of the reason it is still swollen. I am not sure if anyone explained this (and if so-- sorry) but the clot doesn't disolve totally-- think of it jsut being hollowed out-- allowing blood to flow through. There is a flap int he vein that should close and not allow the blood to go back down into your leg. Unfortunately, your clot sounds like mine and in my case, the flap in that vein was damaged. BUT-- don't lose hope yet. I am thinking you may feel a bit frustrated and hopeless, but I have been all over, go to the gym daily, run, and am very active (with the swollen leg). I have pasted my story below so you can see it. I have had this for 11 years and will be on coumadin for the remainder of my life unless they find a cure to the cardiolipid blood disorder. Like I said before, it has only been 6 months. Give your body time to heal. In the meantime, get the pressure knee highs. You do not need a prescription and they cost about $32 a pair. I am not saying sport around town in them with shorts on or anything, but they def help. I jsut recently got them and really wish I was told about them when I had my first DVT 11 years ago. I believe the swelling in my leg today would be so much better. BTW-- the swelling will get better with time. At least you don't have to wear skirts and dresses with what I now refer to as my "***** Pig" leg. Good luck and keep the faith!

I was on the pill from 16 to 21 then developed what I thought was a sprain. After walking around on it and nursing it for a month, I finally went to my college's health center only to be rushed to the local hospital. I began working at a major ivy league university and seeing doctors upon doctors and really received excellent care, but no one could tell me what the actual problem was. I changed doctors about three years ago and my new GP sent me to a fantastic hem. In all honesty, I travel oftenm stretch my legs on long trips (plan, train, and car) and am kind to my system by wearing the prescribed knee highs when I can. I only got those in the last few weeks as I developed a clot in a superficial vein (unrelated to my condition-- I am a teacher and anyone on their feet often can develop the sup. clot). I cannot believe that I was never prescribed these before now. I don't wear them know (summer) but will put them on when I get home or even overnight sometimes. If you are hiking and flying, this may help you.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
(female)

zmanzelli HB User

I had a DVT in January 08 in my left calf all the way up to my into my thigh plus I was pregnant (due to FVL). Same thing as you - in hospital for six days, swollen leg, LOTS LOTS of pain as well as my leg was hot. Currently, my clot is healed and I have no swelling in my leg at all anymore. I took Lovenox because that is what is recommended when pregnant so I don't know much about the Coumadin. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I did water exercises, as well as walking every day. My leg would swell but eventually stopped...I would have then redo an ultrasound on your leg possibly to make sure it is healing properly.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
(male)

topspin225 HB User

Hi, I am a 21 year old male. 5 years ago I suffered a massive DVT in my left leg and pulmonary emboli due to being hospitalized for a stroke. I am fairly healthy now, and take warfarin for my blood clot disorder. However, the DVT is still present and I wear a compression stocking to prevent some of the swelling. I am very active, as I run and play all sports. However, I am wondering if there is a way to remove the DVT or repair the veins, so that I do not have to wear this stocking for the rest of my life? I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any advice or potential treatments. The leg definitely improved in the first couple of months after the dvt, but the improvement has stopped. Is there any way to permanently remove the DVT?

Thank you,
JT

Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
(female)

earlysunrise HB User

Hi! I am 37yo female and had a DVT October 2007 in the Pelvic and entire left leg. You can never really get rid of a DVT but there are treatments you can get in the hospitals. I under went treatments at NIH where they have to go into the vein and spray Heprin into the vein to dissolve the clot. It never fully dissolves the clot. I have over 80% recovery in my leg and over 50% recovery in the pelvic for blood flow. Find out from your doctor how much recovery you have in your leg. Exercise is the best thing for a DVT as it increases blood flow. I wear the compression stocking but not all the time.

Check with your physician about alternative options. You need to have a vascular surgeon's opinion in order to see if you need it and make sure the surgeon specializes in this. Not all hospitals offer the rotor router to clean these veins out.

The website site I copied down some surgical procedures which you need to look for when looking for a physician who does this where you will have to get a consultation to see if you qualify.

I had the catheter-directed thrombolysis treatment on my blood clots. I do not get the continuous swelling in my leg although I am still taking blood thinners.

Also if you have not done so already you need to find out what caused your clots. Is it genetics? Medical? Hormonal? I have two genetic causes, one medical (May-Thurner Syndrome) and hormones (birthcontrol). I no longer take birth control, they put a stint in the vein to correct the May-Thurner Syndrome (artery compressing on the vein cutting off blood flow to my leg) and genetics they can not correct.

I would make sure any trips you take in the future such as flying, car trips and etc you wear the compression stocking for the duration of the trip if nothing else as a precaution.

[url]http://www.*****.com/dvt/deep-vein-thrombosis-treatment-dvt[/url]

Deep Vein Thrombosis Treatment: Catheter-Directed Thrombolysis
Your body will dissolve a clot over time, but damage can occur inside your vein in the meantime. For this reason, your doctor may recommend a clot-busting drug called a thrombolytic agent.

This DVT treatment may be necessary:

For larger clots
If you're at high risk for pulmonary embolism
If you have DVT in an arm, instead of a leg
Catheter-directed thrombolysis rapidly breaks up a clot, restoring blood flow. It may also preserve valve function in the vein that contained the clot. The procedure is done in the hospital and carries a higher risk of bleeding problems and stroke than does anticoagulant therapy.

This is how a catheter-directed thrombolysis is done:

With imaging guidance, an interventional radiologist inserts a thin tube (catheter) into and through a vein in your leg.
The radiologist then puts the tip of the catheter into the clot and infuses a clot-busting drug directly into it.
If the vein appears narrowed, the radiologist may do a balloon angioplasty or stent placement to widen it and help prevent future blockages.

Venous thrombectomy. In very rare cases, surgery is required to remove a deep vein clot. This may be true if you have a severe type of deep vein thrombosis that does not respond well to nonsurgical DVT treatment. This is called phlegmasia cerulea dolens.

Best of luck. Sorry so long...just trying to help in form which there is very little information available.
Julie

Last edited by earlysunrise; 09-21-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Closed Thread