It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
(female)

mizkitty HB User
Anyone with Factor V Leidens disease?

Hi I am new to this message board. I have more than a few medical problems but was wondering if there is anyone with factor v liedens disease? If so I would like to chat. I have had one pulmonary embolism, a few TIA's and was and supposed to be on long term Lovenox....Hope to hear from someone...
Kitty

Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

zmanzelli HB User
Re: Anyone with Factor V Leidens disease?

Hi..I have FVL. I was diagnosed January of this year when I ended up with a DVT in my left leg and I was 12 weeks pregnant. I am still on Lovenox...have you started yours yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

mizkitty HB User

I have been on and off Lovenox for three years. The only bad thing is I developed Osteoperosis but I also have other medical issues...so it can be those causeing it too it is hard to tell. It may seem scary to inject yourself but you'll do fine and i had no side effects. I hope your feeling good...
kitty

Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
(female)

seaugust2001 HB User

I was diagnossed with the disease back in 2006. I was on birth control at the time. I developed a blood clot in one of my legs. Luckily I caught it in time. I had to give myself shots twice a day for about 5 days and then I was on a blood med for about 6 months. I have not had any problems since but I have also not been on bc either. I also have pcos so my doctor and I are trying to find ways for me to be able to have that time of the month since I can't talk bc. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I have tons of relatives with factor v and my dad has it.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
(female)

ejewels HB User

HI Kitty

My fiancé had a DVT in 2008 in left thigh. He was treated with heparin and lovenox then on Coumadin. 1 week later had PE. Was in the hospital for 10 days on IV and released on Coumadin. INR stayed low developed another DVT and was sent to Hematologist and tested positive for factor V. Was put on 10mg Coumadin daily for a lifetime and INR range set at 3-3.5. July 20011 he developed a new DVT in same leg in calf this time. INR was 3.7 at the time. After going to new hematologist was told he was tested and has no protein deficiencies and was told in Coumadin failure and would be on Lovenox for life and would need a filter. August 2011 still clotting while on lovenox 100mg 2x daily. Doctors are at a loss, going to start testing for cancer.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
(male)

Joshua480 HB User

I have it. Sadly mine wasn't detected until I had a stroke back in July. When trying to figure out what caused it, they discovered it. Been on Coumadin since August, and still have trouble getting my INR in range

The following user gives a hug of support to Joshua480:
WolfyLady03 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
(female)

WolfyLady03 HB User

I was just diagnosed in November with Factor v Leiden. Its not a disease though hun its a gene you inherited from one or both of your parents. Often times there are no side effects of it but there are a few that have trouble. I didnt know and went on a high dose birth control to counter another birth defect i have. Hope that tidbit helped and would love to chat any time..

Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
(female)

WolfyLady03 HB User

Dang thats scary they cant seem to get my inr's right either.. just recently they finally found something that works and i've seen improvements though because of the lack of blood flow i have a skin infection now from just above my knee to my ankle and halfway around my calf.. its itchy and uncomfy..and to top it off the antibiotics they gave me made me really really sick so i had to stop taking them.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
(female)

WolfyLady03 HB User

i went through the same thing.. 5 days in the hospital with the shots and everything they put me on coumadin though. my dr was hoping to take me off it but swelling is still there its only been 3 months though. I'm still on bc but i know i have to change/go off but have another birth defect that i have to take bc for. I was suggested to go on mirna but i've never had children so i dont know if they will do that do you know? and if not i'm thinking about going on alesse or ortho tri cyclen again i never had any problems with them other then i forgot to take them all the time. I'm kinda scared to go on it because of the clot. Any advice? does it help going off the birth control completely?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
(female)

w1ldch1ld2 HB User
Cool Re: Anyone with Factor V Leidens disease?

Hi
I was told that I have FVL and Antiphospholipid also. I found out thru DNA and genetic profile. The only issues that I have had so far is busted capillaries and small vessels in my fingers busting. I don't even know what my levels are yet. I'm planning on getting pregnant soon and they will test my levels then. My levels are subjective to which of the disorders are most prevalent at the time which in a way sux cuz one contradicts the other. I do hope for all of you that your FVL stables out and yalls issues cease.
Hugs to all

Last edited by w1ldch1ld2; 04-29-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to preveiw

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
(female)

Eddi HB User

hi i had a PE following the birth of my son in 1995. i continued to be unwell and told it was all in my head. this continued for 4 years then went into complete heart block and needed a pacemaker fitting, at the same time they also found i had factor v leiden; however i was informed this was nothing to worry about as i had had it since birth. so i didnt. i was given no treatment. i have subsequently developed a dvt in my arm which has caused many problems. i lost the use of my arm for about 6 weeks and i am now recieving physio to build up to strength. i am in my 30's i am now finally being medicated with warfain 8mg daily. i am very afraid as i have the pacemaker and am currently suffering massive panic attacks. so you are not alone and it is good to realise that i am not alone too.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
(female)

WolfyLady03 HB User

Crazy how those things work they did all sort of tests on me because they couldnt figure out at my age why i had such a massive clot. My INR's have finally leveled out but on a large dose.. i may ask my dr about something different then coumadin though i work in the deli at Albertons and i am always worried i am going to get cut and they arent going to be able to stop it. Plus with the high dose my hands keep falling asleep..and i burned myself pretty bad and didnt feel it. I am sick of being scared all the time so far it has helped me not get cut though. Good luck and congrats when you get pregnant.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
(female)

WolfyLady03 HB User

Holy cow! I am glad they are finally doing something. I was told usually the factor V leiden doesnt effect anything but things can set it off. Mine was set off by Ortho Evra..which i cant seem to find a lawyer to help me with that.. Anyways.. i am only on 6mg or coumadin 8mg wow..I am glad they are working to restore your arm i am working on my leg myself its still really painful it swells still and i continue to have veins burst.. i also developed post thrombotic syndrome too.. my veins were to damaged from the clot and burst causing the tissue to be stained..big brown blotches pretty ugly..the pain is what i cant stand and cannot take anything but Tylenol and that barely helps.. i hate taking pain killers so i just deal with it. Its nice to know i'm not alone either but also wish none of us had this it really causes so many problems with our bodies.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
(female)

Eddi HB User

hi try not to worry too much about being cut. if you apply pressure and elevate it will stop eventually. i also get numb hands but never associated it with the warfarin. its alot to take in isnt it. i have been put up to 9mg daily now. i think my body actually gets used to it and still thickens up.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
(female)

WolfyLady03 HB User

I know i dont really worry about cuts that much i get burned at work more often then cut..yes it is alot things have changed so much i hate the pain and feeling weak all the time. I am on 6mg 5 times a week and 3mg 2 times a week that seems to be working pretty well. My main problem is being on my feet so much it hurts after awhile. Also my older brother isnt making it very easy on me.. his wife and he are expecting they decided to wait to tell us because they wanted to do the in womb tests to make sure shes not like me.. which thank God she doesnt have the gene..seems to have skipped his children's line. It scares me.. i dont want my sibs to go through this.. My mom has the gene too and so does my sister. mine was fine until i went on the birth control patch ortho evra and all hell broke loose.. Its hard to think of myself as any different then before but things are.

I didnt think the numbness was part of it either until i looked up the side effects and traced the numbness and tingling back it started when they upped my dose of coumadin. Its a side effect i looked it up online though my dr doesnt seem to think thats the problem.

Last edited by WolfyLady03; 07-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Reply Reply