It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

cb1944 HB User
how long to get coumadin out of your system

how long to get coumadin out of your system

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

Kirstin82 HB User
Re: how long to get coumadin out of your system

From my understanding it doesn't take too long. My husband and are thinking about starting a family and when we decide that we want to start trying I need to talk to my hematologist about coming off of Coumadin and getting switched to Lovenox. So, I am guessing here, but a couple of weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I am going to guess about 5 days. The reason I came to this conclusion, is my dad was on it and started bleeding rectally. He was taken to the hospital and it was suspected he had divictulitus. The doctors waited 5 days before doing the colonscopy because they didnt want the coumadin in his system.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

cb1944-My friend had to have a colonoscopy and the doctor said he wouldn't touch him until he had been off the meds for 30 days.

Mel52--Maybe in your father's case it was more of an emergency situation. I think that it takes a little while to be completely out of your system. But I don't know that for sure either. FLFLOWERGIRL

The Following User Says Thank You to FLFLOWERGIRL For This Useful Post:
siciliangram (03-08-2011)
Old 09-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

earlysunrise HB User

I would agree with the five days as when I go for INR each week if I have missed a dose it drops dramatically as thought I am not really on it. I am currently on 5mg and when I miss a day it drops to where it has no effect.

Also if you start eating things with Vitamin K it will get out of your system sooner as it counter reacts it.
Julie

Last edited by earlysunrise; 09-10-2008 at 06:28 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to earlysunrise For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Now that I think about it more, you are probably right, the person that I was speaking of was being treated with a lot of meds for blood clots. A lower dose would make sense that it would not take as long. FLFLOWERGIRL

The Following User Says Thank You to FLFLOWERGIRL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Mel52--Maybe in your father's case it was more of an emergency situation. I think that it takes a little while to be completely out of your system. But I don't know that for sure either. FLFLOWERGIRL

FLFLOWERGIRL, they probably just wanted to get him out of the hospital..Actually he had very heavy bleeding and had to have a transfusion. The bleeding stopped actually very quickly but he had to wait until they said it was safe to do the test. He no longer is on coumadin because of the diviculitus. I was rather concerned but the drs put him back on one aspirin a day.

Closed Thread