It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

DanaAnel HB User
Enlarged red blood cells

I am a healthy 44 yesr old woman. In 2005, I had a routine blood test and it was noticed that I had enlarged red blood cells (just over 100 - e.g. 100.?). All of my other blood markers looked good. At that time, a follow-up blood test was done to check the B12 and folate levels in my blood (to rule out deficiency) and check my liver function. All tests showed everything was normal. Just recenlty (3 years later) I had another blood test and it showed my MCV level had gone up to 104.?. So, the enlagement in increasing over time. I had my vitamin B levels and Liver function tested again and all looks normal. The DR. I saw last thinks there is no cause for further investigation (because otherwise I feel fine). I am concerned however that this is a warning of something that I should be acting upon.

Can you clarify if it can be considered perfectly normal to have red blood cells that are getting larger over time (e.g. a normal by-product of aging?)?

Should I be pushing for further testing to find the underlying issue - and if so what tests?

A couple of other points to consider:
- I am not a heavy drinker (maybe a glass of wine twice a month)
- I am not on any medacation other than antihistamines for allergies
- I haven't lost a lot of blood recently (or ever for that matter)
- I feel perfectly healthy - other than some symptoms that I attribute to peri-menopause (hot flushes, bad, bad memory, mood swings)...
- My 2 sisters have had blood disorders - one had childhood leukemia (ALL) and one has a clotting disorder (not too serious - just can't take asperin, etc.).

Thanks so much! Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Enlarged red blood cells

I would do a ferritin check to be sure that you are not getting too much iron. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread