It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User
Can Celiac Affect Amount of Blood Platelets?

I found <an article discussing extreme thrombocytosis as a sign of coeliac disease>.

I wonder if this is possibly why some people may have elevated amount of platelets.

I know there are dietary recommendations for people with low amount of platelets but why wouldn't there be any for those with thrombocytosis?

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-18-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: do not discuss how to find websites.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Can Celiac Affect Amount of Blood Platelets?

Thanks for finding that, I found a bunch when I searched just now - in the young and old. It seems associated with the chronic inflammation, low iron and hyposplenia untreated Celiac can cause.

I think they should be screening people for Celiac anyways, seeing as how it's so underdiagnosed. Any Celiac blood test (celiac panel) should include antiendomysial antibody (EMA) anti-tissue transglutaminase (tTG) and the
determination of total serum IgA level.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 09-18-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks Auntieleela for responding to this post. I thought all the thrombocytosis patients reading my post would laugh me out of the forum. <I have read several articles> showing young and old patients in studies. There was one presentation I read from a doctor showing that 60&#37; of celiacs have thrombocytosis. What? Wait a second. Why is it that there was no mention of this in anything. Not even from my hematologist. Guess what? Celiac is common in people with autoimmune disorders. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis. That means I have antibodies attacking my thyroid gland. People with hashi's usually feel better when they follow a gluten free diet. Maybe I should try the diet and see how my platelets turn out. Interesting how allergies, depression, heartburn, chronic fatigue, joint pain, ADHD, etc. are alleviated once gluten free is introduced in the diet. There are over 250 symptoms associated with celiac.

I'm hoping to find anyone that has reversed high platelets after going gluten-free. I will see my hematologist in 4 weeks and will be gluten free for 4 weeks. I don't know if 4 weeks will be long enough to see a difference. It doesn't hurt to try for the time being.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-18-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

librarygirl2--My platelets have always been a little high but I never knew why. I was also DX with anemia last year and I too have Hashi's. I am now wondering if the platelets that were high before the anemia could be related to Celiac. I do have a lab for this test on my counter so I will be finding out soon. Great info and no, we wouldn't laugh at you. Thanks for your post. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
(female)

Hi FLFLowergirl

I'm definitely not anemic. I had a 93 on my serum ferritin early this week. Two years ago it was 53 and I take Iron almost every day. My platelets have gone from 500,000 to 900,000 in the past 3 years and I am very afraid that it could reach 1 million. I just turned 38 and not too happy about my labs.

I'm also thinking about maybe asking a doc to run a BMB and maybe even a full MRI to see what is going on with me. Not sure if a full MRI will help though in determining if I have any spleen or other issues.

Did your platelets get better as you got optimized on your meds?

Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

librarygirl2--How I would kill for a ferritin like yours. You say that you take iron almost everyday, how much do you take or is it just in your multivitamin? I still take 150mgs of iron daily because my ferritin is only 41 after 1 1/2 yrs. Do you know why your ferritin was a 53, 2 yrs ago and did you feel bad because of it?

When I was first complaining about heavy periods (3 years ago), my hgb was 13.3 with platelets at 439,000 H was marked out and dismissed by the doctor, I had no clue what it meant. When I was DX with anemia they were 462,000. Now that the anemia has resolved with a hgb of 14.4, platelets are 291,000, so yes, they went down.

I'm going for my Celiac blood testing tomorrow. I hope that I don't have that because I wouldn't know where to begin to change my diet once again. I changed it drastically due to the anemia.

Maybe an ultrasound of the internal organs may help. This is usually the first step. Then CT or MRI. Do you see a Hematologist? FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread