It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

Kirstin82 HB User
What blood thinner can you breast-feed on?

My husband and I are planning a family and I have a blood disorder that requires me to take blood thinners. I have recently switched to Lovenox instead of Coumadin so that we can start trying t conceive. I was just thinking down the road though and I would like to breast-feed. Does anyone know whether or not you can breast feed while on Coumadin or will I still need to give myself Lovenox injections during this period of time as well?

Thanks for any input!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User
Re: What blood thinner can you breast-feed on?

I was on lovenox for 1 year with my first preg and am taking the shots again as i am prego with #2. I was told it s ok to breast feed and i did so for about a month. Than my treatment was changed and my new medication meant i could no longer breast feed.I would consult both your heamo and pead re this though.
what is your blood condition...if i may ask of course...i have essential thrombocytosis.
Wishing you all the best

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
(female)

zmanzelli HB User

Hi Kirstin82

I breastfeed and have a blood disorder, so I am Lovenox still. According to my hemo, Lovenox is the safest blood thinner to take while pregnant and nursing. I have spoken to others that their dr. said Coumadin was not passed through the breast milk and I asked my hemo - he disagreed. He said that there is some and that is why I have to stay on the Lovenox through the whole nursing time.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

bec_bec HB User

Hi Hun

Same as amy and zena, I was on lovenox throughout my pregnancy.

I started as soon as I found out I was pregnant and towards the end of my pregnancy they switched me to heparin for delivery reasons. After I had Danielle I went straight back onto the lovenox and I breastfed her.

I have protein C defiency and required only to have the blood thinners pregnancy and post pregnancy for 6 weeks.

lovenox is injections as you prob know already.

But I would have a talk to your gp and hemo' and discuss the best way for you. But some drs can cross paths and disagree on the same things. I found lovenox to be fine. Bub is 7 months old now and luckily she doesnt have my blood disorder that sadly took my dads life when i was young. The tested her after she was born and the lovenox and heparin had no affect on her what so ever.

Being pregnant puts more stress and is highly causable for blood clots. So please make sure you are at ease with all questions before hand.

Bec

Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

Kirstin82 HB User

Thanks for everyone's insight, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, my doctors are unsure which blood condition I have. They have tested me for about 30 different conditions and none have come up positive. Both my hematologist and my OB work together on a fairly regular basis and my OB specializes in more high-risk pregnancies. They have both told me that blood clotting disorders are all treated the same way so not knowing isn't that big of a deal. I did have a preconception visit with my OB and got most of my questions out of the way, I just forgot to ask her about this one. So, thanks again, and I will talk to my doctor about what they recommend as well.

Kirstin82

Closed Thread