It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
(female)

paula23 HB User
polycythemia rubra vera

Just Been Told I Have Polycythemia Rubra Vera Is Any One Else Using This Board Suffering From The Same Blood Disorder Would Like To Talk To You About It And How You Are Affected I Am Finding The Itch At The Moment Driving Me Mad

The following user gives a hug of support to paula23:
bliss01 (06-25-2011)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
(male)

rfish1966 HB User
Re: polycythemia rubra vera

I was told in passing by my endocrinologist that I have it and that I should have blood taken but was neven given any more info on it. I do have rib pain on the left side, night sweats, pain in the hands and feet, high blood pressure and on and on. I left that doctor for other reasons and my current doc looks at me like I am nuts. Can we get you guys to list off some symptoms?

Last edited by rfish1966; 10-06-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

audrey53 HB User

Hello, I would like to suggest you check out this website. I believe it will answer many of your questions. Hope it helps.[url]http://www.mpdfoundation.org/[/url]

Audrey

Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfish1966 View Post
I was told in passing by my endocrinologist that I have it and that I should have blood taken but was neven given any more info on it. I do have rib pain on the left side, night sweats, pain in the hands and feet, high blood pressure and on and on. I left that doctor for other reasons and my current doc looks at me like I am nuts. Can we get you guys to list off some symptoms?
Hi, my name is Randall and I was diagnosed with polycythemia in 2000 (total blood cell count over one million) and had symptoms dating back to 1994. It started with itching on the inside of my lower arms, itching from my knees to my ankles (terrible itch for about 45 minutes) after hot shower, red in the face like a sun burn, tightness across my chess and pain behind my breast bone ( two stays in hospital thought I was having heart attack), extreme fatigue feeling, night sweats and lots of anxiety! After I started seeing my hematologist and sveral plebotomies and the right medications (agralide, hydroxurea, and 81 mg aspirin and benadryl for the itching) I have fewer symptoms. Now I hurt in my joints (elbows, knees, and balls of feet, still have a few night sweats and blood pressure a little high. I see my hematologist every two months now and he says I have many good years ahead and my current age is 60. Good Luck & God Bless

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
(male)

mollydrv HB User

Hi, Well I have found the worse part of having polycythemia is the night sweats, some nights I have to get up and change the bed 2 - 3 times and take a shower. I also have the sweats other times of the day too. I only have the itching thing after a hot shower once in a while.
The one thing I do see is that these doctors know about polycythemia but they seem to have no idea what to do about it or tell you much about it, only that you have it and they want to drain a pint of blood out of you every week.
I found out more info on the internet about it than the doctors could tell me, what does that tell you about my doctors.????????
I know I am looking for another doctor to look at me and treat me.
The veterans administration are real bone heads when it comes to getting treatment for something they know little about.
For what it is worth, if you don't like the answers you are getting out of your doctor you should find one that knows what he or she is talking about.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

plynn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula23 View Post
Just Been Told I Have Polycythemia Rubra Vera Is Any One Else Using This Board Suffering From The Same Blood Disorder Would Like To Talk To You About It And How You Are Affected I Am Finding The Itch At The Moment Driving Me Mad
I have the same thing...was just diagnosed in Nov. 2009. I had been having the terrible itch on my arms and across my chest which occurred mostly after a bath or shower. I began to think I was allergic to water! This went on for a couple of years before I was diagnosed. Also I had terribly bloodshot eyes that my opthamologist said was "ocular rosasea". Those were my only two symptoms other than my constant fatigue. (I thought the fatigue was due to my age and being a school teacher!)

Right now my blood is being monitored at regular intervals, and I get a phlebotomy when my blood count gets too high. I also take a baby aspirin once a day. Other than that, my life goes on as normal.

How old are you? Are you seeing a hematologist?
Plynn

Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
(male)

Hi Paula! My name is Randy; I'm 61 years young and was diagnosed with PV in 2000 with symptoms dating back to 1994. The terrible itching in my fore arms and lower legs after a hot shower is what led my family doctor to do some blood work and that resulted in some very high blood counts reported. I went through several phlebotomies and now take hydroxurea, agrylide' and 81 mg aspirin every day. I take two benedryl's every night at bed time which helps with the itching and helps induce sleep. THe worst part of this disorder/disease for me is the extreme fatigue.
Best wishes Paula and Good LUCK!! May God be with you.
Randy

Last edited by Pottsey1; 03-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
(male)

mollydrv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plynn View Post
I have the same thing...was just diagnosed in Nov. 2009. I had been having the terrible itch on my arms and across my chest which occurred mostly after a bath or shower. I began to think I was allergic to water! This went on for a couple of years before I was diagnosed. Also I had terribly bloodshot eyes that my opthamologist said was "ocular rosasea". Those were my only two symptoms other than my constant fatigue. (I thought the fatigue was due to my age and being a school teacher!)

Right now my blood is being monitored at regular intervals, and I get a phlebotomy when my blood count gets too high. I also take a baby aspirin once a day. Other than that, my life goes on as normal.

How old are you? Are you seeing a hematologist?
Plynn

Old 04-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
(male)

mollydrv HB User

Hi, My name is Dave and I am 52 years old. I was just diagnosed with it about a month ago after having a series of pain shots in my lower back to try and control the pain I have been having for years and the pain has gotten 100 times worse over the past 3 years. They found the Polycythemia just doing regular blood tests after I started sweating heavy almost all the time and even worse at night when i am trying to sleep. The itching part has only been mild so far but from what I have read i should get it worse like everyone has it.
The Hematologist I see thru the Veterans Administration is not the sharpest person in the world for a doctor I think and does not info me too well. I have had to go see another doctor just to keep tabs on the other jerk. So far they have been taking a pint of blood a week right now and they told me if they need to they will go to 2 pint a week. I have not seen the new numbers of the latest blood tests as of yet. I have just started having problems with my eyes, they are dry and I look like I have not had any sleep in days. I retired a few years ago so I guess these doctors think I have nothing better to do with my time than to run back & forth to see them and help pay for a new car or something else for them, I was going to go down to Ayacucho, Peru in May to do some work for the INC Museum there but now the doctors say it would be a bad idea for me to go there and spend 3 weeks up in the mountains. They say my body would make more red blood cells up in the mountains and I should put the work off up there for 6 months or more till I have this problem regulated better.
It just seems like every time I go to the doctors there is something else wrong they have to try and fix ??????? I know this, I am not going to stop living my life just to run to the doctors 2 - 3 times a week, that's not going to happen with me. I'll draw the blood myself and send it out to be tested and stick myself to drain a pint of blood a few time a week at home and live my life the way I want to.
I hope things get better for you real soon and all the side effects to this thing ease up for you
Dave

Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
(female)

plynn HB User

Dave,
You sound like a fiesty one! What area geographically speaking do you live? Yes, your first line of action is to get your blood regulated. You don't want to be off somewhere and have a stroke or a heart attack!
Every time I go to the hematologist, I request a copy of my blood counts from that visit.
I have a table of the norms, and I compare my counts with that table every time I go.
I started with phlebotomies every two weeks, then started going once a month, and now I'm going every two months. My hemo said he'd like to get me down to going maybe every 6 months!
I, too, had trouble with my eyes. They stayed so bloodshot and dry, that people thought I'd been out drinking or taking drugs! After my blood got regulated, the bloodshot eyes went away.
This is a condition that can be managed, but will need constant monitoring for the rest of our lives..
Plynn

Last edited by plynn; 04-02-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #11
(male)

mollydrv HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plynn View Post
Dave,
You sound like a fiesty one! What area geographically speaking do you live? Yes, your first line of action is to get your blood regulated. You don't want to be off somewhere and have a stroke or a heart attack!
Every time I go to the hematologist, I request a copy of my blood counts from that visit.
I have a table of the norms, and I compare my counts with that table every time I go.
I started with phlebotomies every two weeks, then started going once a month, and now I'm going every two months. My hemo said he'd like to get me down to going maybe every 6 months!
I, too, had trouble with my eyes. They stayed so bloodshot and dry, that people thought I'd been out drinking or taking drugs! After my blood got regulated, the bloodshot eyes went away.
This is a condition that can be managed, but will need constant monitoring for the rest of our lives..
Plynn

Old 04-03-2010, 05:22 AM   #12
(male)

mollydrv HB User

Hi, I live in Michigan about 30 miles north of Detroit
Dave

Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
(female)

paula23 HB User

Hi my name is paula I was diagnosed in 2007 I have been doing ok for the last while the doctors have regulated my blood and my count is normal at the minute although I am due back to see the doctor in two weeks and I feel I may need to have some blood taken I feel the symptoms are starting to appear unfortunately this is for the rest of my life and is something I will have to get used to I hate having the blood taken my arms get very sore afterwards how about you how often do you have your blood taken

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula23 View Post
Hi my name is paula I was diagnosed in 2007 I have been doing ok for the last while the doctors have regulated my blood and my count is normal at the minute although I am due back to see the doctor in two weeks and I feel I may need to have some blood taken I feel the symptoms are starting to appear unfortunately this is for the rest of my life and is something I will have to get used to I hate having the blood taken my arms get very sore afterwards how about you how often do you have your blood taken
Hi Paula!My name is Randy and I am 61 years young and was diagnosed with PV in 2000.Once UR Hem gets handle on controlling UR PV U may not have to have blood taken off so often.I went 3 years without a phlebotomy.This disorder is so very unpredictable.I went to my Hem the 1st of March and I was anemic.All my counts were low and hematicrit was 37.He took me off my regular meds and have been on prenizone since.I was back to see him yesterday and he cut back on the prednizone and started me back on one of my regular meds.So;anyway I'm feeling better and have more enrgy than I have had in a while.Good luck Paula and God be with U!!!!Randy

Last edited by Pottsey1; 04-06-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
(female)

plynn HB User

Hey Randy!
I'm glad you posted on how you were doing. Sorry to hear you are anemic, but you have a good hematologist who seems to be on top of things. Glad to hear you are having more energy now. When is the last time you had a BM biobsy? How do things look there?

I'm still on phlebs and aspirin only...My counts seem to be leveling off in the normal range right now and the doc said that I didn't have to come for another cbc/ possible phleb. for 2 months... My next appt. is April 13....Don't know what the numbers will say then, but I have been symptom free...so far. At first, when I was getting phlebs every two weeks, my platelets shot up, but not having so many "blood-lettings" has helped... and my platelets are under 600. (That seems to be were he wants them to be.) He said that at my age, anything over 600 was cause for concern.

Well, Randy, hope you continue to feel better...Take care and God Bless.
Plynn

Closed Thread