It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

Trudy21 HB User
what is wrong when MCV and MCH levels are high

what is wrong when MCV and MCH levels are high

Old 10-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: what is wrong when MCV and MCH levels are high

Can lean towards a B-12 deficiency, however, there are other reasons for a high MCV but B-12 is thet most common. Are all your other numbers normal on your CBC like your H & H and RBC, WBC counts? FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
(female)

pegbusymom HB User
Re: What is wrong when WBC, HGB, MCV and MCH are high?

In case this it is needed, I am a 52 year old women. Diganosed stage 1 Breast Cancer, Grade 2 July 2009. On Femara 2.5 mg for the cancer.
However my most recent labs are: HCT-48.7; HGB-16.0; RBC-4.87; WBC-18.0; MCV-100.0; and MCH-32.8.
I had Peripheal Blood smear done 3 weeks ago at family physicians office. This came back with the following: Leukocytosis, absolute neutrophilia and monocytosis type. Reactivity noted. Blasts not seen. RBC-Slight macrocytosis. PLTS-adequate. Comments/recommendations: Macrocytosis without anemia. The differential diagnoses include drug effect, liver disease, alcohol use, and hypothyroidism or complex etiology." ( I have not had a drop of alcohol in 20+ years, have used "some" Tylenol 3 but no other narcotic or street drugs.)
My family doctor who ordered this Peripheal Blood Smear was a new doctor to our family. I told him, for the last 5-8 year's I have just run a higher than normal/ higher than ranges WBC. Mine has always run between 11.0-18.0. Usually 18.0 if I have had Bladder Infection, Sinus Issues going on ect.
When my Peripheal Blood Smear came back my family doctor said, "You are right, you just run high WBC counts is all. The Smear told us nothing was out of line with your Blood Smear Morphology done."
Last Monday I was in for my 6 month Oncologists appointment. My Oncologist said due to my high WBC, HGB, HCT, MCV and MCH she wants to do a Bone Marrow Biopsy. That from a family practioners point of view a WBC of 18.0; HGB of 16.0 and high MCV and MCH as stated with numbers above, may not be considered high but from a Oncologist point of view they look at these numbers differently. Then my Oncologists added, "I am also a blood doctor/Hematologist. And I want to be sure you are not stroke material."
Now I am scared. I mean, my Oncologist said she was not looking for more cancer but, my Erthrocytosis numbers are high and, she was looking for Bone marrow suppression or mutation in them and, I just don't understand any of this.
Why would a family doctor say, "I just run high WBC counts and the smear told them nothing" and, two days later my Oncologist wants to do a bone marrow biopsy because according to her these counts are high?" And what does a biopsy got to do with a possible stroke or thick blood? I don't understand any of these lab results, or the reason behind a bone marrow biopsy to rule out a stroke.
Are my lab results extememly high to warrant a bone marrow biopsy? What could they be looking for? I don't understand "Bone marrow suppression or mutation in them."
Any suggestions/ideas would be so much appreciated. I am about ready to lose it from not knowing or understanding so much of this.
Thank you so much and, I apologize if this is not the right forum to post under. Pegbusymom

Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
(female)

Cgilbreath HB User

Hummm... I am trying to find out the same thing. I just had labs completed on Monday of this week and the following labs were high:

Eosinophils
Absolute Eosinophil
MCV
MCH
Folate

Everything seems to be leaning to B12 and or Folate Deficiency. Is that true?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
(female)

aoakle HB User

It has to do with the RBC's in the blood related to heart health too I think but not 100% sure.

Closed Thread