It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
(female)

kmarshy HB User
Persistent high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

I am just going for an Autoantibody Screen. I have had high white cells for a few years, high platelets and a clotting test is out. I get small bruises from bood vessels breaking. Hands and feet freezing, hand numbness..

White Count 15000
Platelets 501 (have been over 650)
Clotting time up (doc put lupus anticoagulant?)

Have hypertension, (since early age)
livedo reticularis
Just had spine x ray and two parts show arthritis
Lymph node on elbow raised ???
General aches

What could this be? I know its Neutrophilia (and noticed left shift on computer screen) and i did have a differential 4 years ago and nothing nasty then (no blasts). They will not do this again as they did it then but I wondered if anyone else had these and what things it could be.

Last edited by kmarshy; 11-20-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User
Re: Persistant high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Hi! I can empathize with your anxiety and fears. I'm wondering about the red blood cell count and total blood cell count. U may have already visited a hematologist; if not, I would find one soon. I have polycythemia and my total blood cell count at diagnosis was over 1 million. SO; I wish U all the best hope U get some good news or good help soon!
Randy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
(female)

cheerus HB User
Question Re: Persistant high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey1 View Post
Hi! I can empathize with your anxiety and fears. I'm wondering about the red blood cell count and total blood cell count. U may have already visited a hematologist; if not, I would find one soon. I have polycythemia and my total blood cell count at diagnosis was over 1 million. SO; I wish U all the best hope U get some good news or good help soon!
Randy
Randy, Hi I Was reading some of these posts I Have an appoint. with a hemotologist next Tuesday. My white cell count was 19,000 >2 weeks ago and since it was high twice this month my doctor just wants to have me be checked to be sure hes not missing anything. My differential like cell count was fine he said . just very high white blood cell count. I Did have a urinary tract infection but the count was still the same high after the antibiotics were done and they found no infection left so I'm wondering what could be causing my high cells?? What is polycythemia? & I Take it you've been to a hematologist what can I Expect I'm a little Anxious?I Don't know what my red blood cell count is. Is there different tests they do blood tests to see if you have different blood disorders? How did you find out what you had polycythemia?Just would love to know what to expect next week?>Also pottsey you too I Know how you feel The anxiety can drive you crazy! just wondering.Did you go to a hemotologist and what did you find out? Would love your Advice Randy & Pottsey so I Know what to expect Bren

Old 02-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

cheerus HB User
Question Re: Persistent high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshy View Post
I am just going for an Autoantibody Screen. I have had high white cells for a few years, high platelets and a clotting test is out. I get small bruises from bood vessels breaking. Hands and feet freezing, hand numbness..

White Count 15000
Platelets 501 (have been over 650)
Clotting time up (doc put lupus anticoagulant?)

Have hypertension, (since early age)
livedo reticularis
Just had spine x ray and two parts show arthritis
Lymph node on elbow raised ???
General aches

What could this be? I know its Neutrophilia (and noticed left shift on computer screen) and i did have a differential 4 years ago and nothing nasty then (no blasts). They will not do this again as they did it then but I wondered if anyone else had these and what things it could be.
Kmarshy, I Too have a high white blood cell count of 19,000 My differential was fine the doctor said but since my cbc count was so high twice this month my doctor just wants to be sure and rule out anything so he made an appoint for me to see a hematologist >that gives me anxiety to say the least so I Know how you feel. I Just want to know what to expect? have you seen a hematologist? if so what tests do they run you through looking for different blood disorders.I Asked Randy above the same questions I Need all the Advice I Can get. Anxious in Pa.!!!! Randy Kmarshy Hope to hear from you!!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

cheerus HB User
Question Re: Persistant high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Quote:
Randy
Randy, Hi I Was reading some of these posts I Have an appoint. with a hemotologist next Tuesday. My white cell count was 19,000 >2 weeks ago and since it was high twice this month my doctor just wants to have me be checked to be sure hes not missing anything. My differential like cell count was fine he said . just very high white blood cell count. I Did have a urinary tract infection but the count was still the same high after the antibiotics were done and they found no infection left so I'm wondering what could be causing my high cells?? What is polycythemia? & I Take it you've been to a hematologist what can I Expect I'm a little Anxious?I Don't know what my red blood cell count is. Is there different tests they do blood tests to see if you have different blood disorders? How did you find out what you had polycythemia?Just would love to know what to expect next week?>Also TO THE OTHER POST ON HERE you too I Know how you feel The anxiety can drive you crazy! just wondering.Did you go to a hemotologist and what did you find out? Would love your Advice Randy & ANYONE ELSE so I Know what to expect Bren

Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
(female)

odiebug HB User

Hi Bren
I can relate to how you are feeling..I had my first appt with hematoligist on Dec23rd..I was so scared and nervous!
I had had elevated platelets and WBC for a while but kept putting it off as I was having gall bladder symptoms also. Finally I had that surgery and had another blood test, it was still elevated..
At my appt I was ask my medical history and had a CBC which was sent to the Mayo clinic..My next appt was mid Jan and I was diagnosed with polycythemia vera..
It was suggested and a appt was scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy but I cancelled it.
Turns out the results from Mayo confirmed my diagnosis and I also tested positive for the JAK 2 mutation..
I started on Hydra 10 days ago,,,the first week was rough! but now I feel pretty good.
My next appt is Thursday..
Please do not be worried,,

Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
(female)

kmarshy HB User
Re: Persistent high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerus View Post
Kmarshy, I Too have a high white blood cell count of 19,000 My differential was fine the doctor said but since my cbc count was so high twice this month my doctor just wants to be sure and rule out anything so he made an appoint for me to see a hematologist >that gives me anxiety to say the least so I Know how you feel. I Just want to know what to expect? have you seen a hematologist? if so what tests do they run you through looking for different blood disorders.I Asked Randy above the same questions I Need all the Advice I Can get. Anxious in Pa.!!!! Randy Kmarshy Hope to hear from you!!
Hiya cheerus, If you had a differential done and it was fine except (mine was neutrophilia and I noted on computer screen last time "left shift") then you are really in the same boat as me. Mine I am told are not too high being 15000 and most probably normal for me.

I saw my hematologist on the 28th and he said he was not worried but will see me again in six weeks. He wanted me to have another clotting test before I left (which I have yet to find out the results of) and also he want another FBC with another differential and also Gen Bone immunoglobulins & protein electrophesis done next time I go.

I hope you don't freak out about this too much. Mine has been persistantly high for a few years now. I don't really feel ill but it can make you wonder. Our docs don't worry like yours do about high white counts and certainly would not consider a bone marrow biopsy.

Keep posting and please let us all know. I have no idea what mine is and like I say, they say it can be normal to have this high white count.

Hope everything goes well next tuesday and will take a look for the outcome.

I also wonder about polycythemia vera, I doubt it though but it has crossed my mind.

xx

Last edited by kmarshy; 02-03-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
(female)

kmarshy HB User

Hi odiebug, Sorry to hear of your outcome. How high were your whites and platelets beofre your diagnosis so you can put our minds at rest..

Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
(female)

cheerus HB User
Arrow Re: Persistent high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Quote:
Hiya cheerus, If you had a differential done and it was fine except (mine was neutrophilia and I noted on computer screen last time "left shift") then you are really in the same boat as me. Mine I am told are not too high being 15000 and most probably normal for me.

I saw my hematologist on the 28th and he said he was not worried but will see me again in six weeks. He wanted me to have another clotting test before I left (which I have yet to find out the results of) and also he want another FBC with another differential and also Gen Bone immunoglobulins & protein electrophesis done next time I go.

I hope you don't freak out about this too much. Mine has been persistantly high for a few years now. I don't really feel ill but it can make you wonder. Our docs don't worry like yours do about high white counts and certainly would not consider a bone marrow biopsy.

Keep posting and please let us all know. I have no idea what mine is and like I say, they say it can be normal to have this high white count.

Hope everything goes well next tuesday and will take a look for the outcome.

I also wonder about polycythemia vera, I doubt it though but it has crossed my mind.

xx
Kmarshy Thankyou for responding back to me>Yes it does make you nervous & Anxious and I Have Anxiety disorder anyway so its even harder but I've been ok trying to think positive >see 5 years ago I Had a different doctor at that point then & I Had an infection was put on Antibiotics but he said the differential kind was fine and my white blood cell count was high then I Beleive 18,000 and he just kept taking blood up to a couple months till it went back down in normal range and it has been normal for the last 5 years I Know this because since I'm on meds for Anxiety depression which I'm doing fine now on meds >I Get my blood taken every 3 months for the last 12 years .But I Have a different doctor now & hes a bit more particular and I Had a urinary tract infection and then he took blood after the antibiotics were all & my blood level white cells were still high. I thought hed do like my doctor 5 years ago and just wait about a few weeks & take it again & he too said the differential kind look just fine but he wants me to see this remotoloagist to just ease his mind make sure hes not missing anything. My last Doctor 5 years ago just said I Have a Very Good immune system. Doctors are different I Guess but I Think he should have waited & took another blood test >my antibiotics I Just finished 10 days before the 2nd blood test>so I Don't know but I Do like reading these posts its helpful Information & I Will post whats going on with me. I Think Docs in the Us worry too much sometimes here . I Guess I Can't complain its good they care and its good I Have good insurance lol But let me know how you make out as well. Its nice to have someone to talk well chat he to about thats going through the same thing. Whats polycythemia vera? a blood disorder? There are soo many types of blood disorders whats neutrophilia? its all so confusing your right! Keep in touch We'll have to post back in forth let each other know whats going on. Let me know your results let me know how you make out. Actually reading your post has made it a little less scary to go to the hematologist thanks for sharing. Whats the weather like in The Uk right now? Its freezing here & snowing all the time!! By the way How old are you? Just wondering I'm 41. Bren

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
(female)

cheerus HB User
Arrow Re: Persistant high white count, raised platelets, clotting out???

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiebug View Post
Hi Bren
I can relate to how you are feeling..I had my first appt with hematoligist on Dec23rd..I was so scared and nervous!
I had had elevated platelets and WBC for a while but kept putting it off as I was having gall bladder symptoms also. Finally I had that surgery and had another blood test, it was still elevated..
At my appt I was ask my medical history and had a CBC which was sent to the Mayo clinic..My next appt was mid Jan and I was diagnosed with polycythemia vera..
It was suggested and a appt was scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy but I cancelled it.
Turns out the results from Mayo confirmed my diagnosis and I also tested positive for the JAK 2 mutation..
I started on Hydra 10 days ago,,,the first week was rough! but now I feel pretty good.
My next appt is Thursday..
Please do not be worried,,
Odiebug,As I Was saying above to kMarshy its hard not to be Anxious and a little nervous but reading these posts helps ease that fear a little . How high was your white blood count? and what exactly is polycythemia vera? or jak 2 mutation? what does that mean? Its so confusing. As I Was telling kmarshy above to her response 5 years ago my white cell count was high about 18,000 ,I Had a different doctor then and I Was on antibiotics for an infection and then they retook my blood after the infection was gone & it was still so high so that doctor just kept taking my blood every so many weeks for a while until it went down and its been fine & normal for the last 5 years since then & I know that because I'm on meds that requires me to get my blood counts taken every 3 months. So this month I Went for a routine blood exam & my count was high 19,000 and I Found out I Had a urinary tract infection was put on antibiotics & when the infection was gone my blood was still high but differential was fine same as 5 years ago. but this doctor is very different hes particular and wants to rule anything out just in case. I Know all doctors are different but I Think he should have waited a little longer after my infetion to see if my count would go down like last time. My last doctor 5 years ago just said I Had a really good immune system. whats Hydra? you said you started Hydra? is that a medicine? Reading you guys posts has made me feel a little less nervous & a little less scared>Thankyou>I Will post whats going on with me you too> keep in touch keep posting how your doing. Bren in Pa.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
(female)

kmarshy HB User

Quote:
Kmarshy Thankyou for responding back to me>Yes it does make you nervous & Anxious and I Have Anxiety disorder anyway so its even harder but I've been ok trying to think positive >see 5 years ago I Had a different doctor at that point then & I Had an infection was put on Antibiotics but he said the differential kind was fine and my white blood cell count was high then I Beleive 18,000 and he just kept taking blood up to a couple months till it went back down in normal range and it has been normal for the last 5 years I Know this because since I'm on meds for Anxiety depression which I'm doing fine now on meds >I Get my blood taken every 3 months for the last 12 years .But I Have a different doctor now & hes a bit more particular and I Had a urinary tract infection and then he took blood after the antibiotics were all & my blood level white cells were still high. I thought hed do like my doctor 5 years ago and just wait about a few weeks & take it again & he too said the differential kind look just fine but he wants me to see this remotoloagist to just ease his mind make sure hes not missing anything. My last Doctor 5 years ago just said I Have a Very Good immune system. Doctors are different I Guess but I Think he should have waited & took another blood test >my antibiotics I Just finished 10 days before the 2nd blood test>so I Don't know but I Do like reading these posts its helpful Information & I Will post whats going on with me. I Think Docs in the Us worry too much sometimes here . I Guess I Can't complain its good they care and its good I Have good insurance lol But let me know how you make out as well. Its nice to have someone to talk well chat he to about thats going through the same thing. Whats polycythemia vera? a blood disorder? There are soo many types of blood disorders whats neutrophilia? its all so confusing your right! Keep in touch We'll have to post back in forth let each other know whats going on. Let me know your results let me know how you make out. Actually reading your post has made it a little less scary to go to the hematologist thanks for sharing. Whats the weather like in The Uk right now? Its freezing here & snowing all the time!! By the way How old are you? Just wondering I'm 41. Bren
Hiya Bren, Im 43 by the way.

The weather is freezing and also lots of snow

I also suffer anxiety so I know how you are feeling to a little. I think sometimes we read things and it can play on our minds. The knowing your bloods are not within the "norm" and then the not knowing "why" is worst I think and all sorts of things can go through your mind.

As regards docs in the UK, I don't think they would do a marrow test as they call it invasive until your count gets well high in the 25000 plus range or over. Mine was only 12.5 when they first sent me and has risen to 18 once and back to 15 and now 13. Its just one of those things I suppose but the thing is I am years down the line and nothing drastic has happened. I just hope the same for you too. I was also told by my hematologist that this can sometimes be "normal" for that person. Lets hope that maybe with both ours being like this for a length of time we are just experiencing something normal for us.

Love to you and will definately pop back to see your posts. If I hear anything more I shall certainly post up too. Its nice to know that sometimes we are not alone.

Neutrophilia is most often caused by an infection. Sometimes hidden infections...it basically means that the part of your white count that is higher than normal is the neutrophils. Left shift is the slightly worrying thing but that was on the computer screen last time and I don't know if that is involved this time. I saw it should be a red flag on some sites but lots of things can be the cause.

Last edited by kmarshy; 02-04-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
(male)

Quote:
Hey Guys! Hi ! Polycythemia is actually a bone marrow disorder. The bone marrow produces too many blood cells and also deformed blood cells. My hematologist says there are different variations of Polycythemia. SOme may have just just white cell counts high, some white and red and some plateletes. I lucked out and all three of mine where high. I had ove one million cells total when diagnosed (normal is around 4 hundred thousand) ( white cells still remain the highest). My hematologist extracted a bone marrow sample to diagnose my case. I started feeling really crummy in 1994 and in 1997 felt like I was going to die. I was diagnosed in 2000 and after several phlebotomies and taking 1mg of agrylin, 1000mg of hydroxurea and 81mg aspirin a day, I do fairly well. WOrst problem I have is very, very low energy level. I get my blood checked every month and see the docotr every 2 months. Best of luck to all of U and I wish the best for U!
Randy

Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
(female)

kmarshy HB User

Quote:
Hey Guys! Hi ! Polycythemia is actually a bone marrow disorder. The bone marrow produces too many blood cells and also deformed blood cells. My hematologist says there are different variations of Polycythemia. SOme may have just just white cell counts high, some white and red and some plateletes. I lucked out and all three of mine where high. I had ove one million cells total when diagnosed (normal is around 4 hundred thousand) ( white cells still remain the highest). My hematologist extracted a bone marrow sample to diagnose my case. I started feeling really crummy in 1994 and in 1997 felt like I was going to die. I was diagnosed in 2000 and after several phlebotomies and taking 1mg of agrylin, 1000mg of hydroxurea and 81mg aspirin a day, I do fairly well. WOrst problem I have is very, very low energy level. I get my blood checked every month and see the docotr every 2 months. Best of luck to all of U and I wish the best for U!
Randy
Hi Pottsey, thanks so much for responding here. I have read about this Polycythemia now and it seems its more to do with red cells and note that it says about kidney probs too. I have hypertension and have had from a very young age and also I have "nodules" all over one kidney which the BP specialist said "could" be the cause of my BP but also hypertension is hereditary in our family too. I am not overweight though which is unusual for someone of my build. It is controlled though most of the time. I am having this test done now which is called Gen Bone immunoglobulins & protein electrophoresis . Is this likely to look for the above disorder do you think? Also I had more clotting tests done last time and the results I have yet to find out. I know my clotting was out too and they have done what is called a lupus anticoagulant test last time and some others. I really don't think mine is anything to worry about as I have had this for some time.

Wow Pottsey, Just edited to say as i was half asleep this morning that it took some time for you to get a diagnosis then. 6 years in all. How high were you white and platelets to begin with when they started to invesigate.

Please can you let us know how you go on.

It seems they are thinking something as they are doing this test but I cannot find what. The important thing here is I have been told not to worry.... (Easier said than done!!)
Thanks again Pottsey for sharing this with both Cheerus and myself.

Karen

Last edited by kmarshy; 02-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
(male)

Quote:
Hi Pottsey, thanks so much for responding here. I have read about this Polycythemia now and it seems its more to do with red cells and note that it says about kidney probs too. I have hypertension and have had from a very young age and also I have "nodules" all over one kidney which the BP specialist said "could" be the cause of my BP but also hypertension is hereditary in our family too. I am not overweight though which is unusual for someone of my build. It is controlled though most of the time. I am having this test done now which is called Gen Bone immunoglobulins & protein electrophoresis . Is this likely to look for the above disorder do you think? Also I had more clotting tests done last time and the results I have yet to find out. I know my clotting was out too and they have done what is called a lupus anticoagulant test last time and some others. I really don't think mine is anything to worry about as I have had this for some time.

Wow Pottsey, Just edited to say as i was half asleep this morning that it took some time for you to get a diagnosis then. 6 years in all. How high were you white and platelets to begin with when they started to invesigate.

Please can you let us know how you go on.

It seems they are thinking something as they are doing this test but I cannot find what. The important thing here is I have been told not to worry.... (Easier said than done!!)
Thanks again Pottsey for sharing this with both Cheerus and myself.

Karen
Hi Karen! U know it's been so long I can't remember the count levels. It really didn't take 6 years to diagnose. The sytoms started in 1994; but, I didn't know what was going on. I started itching in my arms, chest, and my legs fromy knees down to my ankle (after ahot shower) would itch like crazy for about 45 minutes and then turn into a burning sensation and then go away. THen I started getting tight across my chest and anxiety level went sky high. My face was red like a stop sign and then; I had a couple of stays in the hospital and thought it was my heart. I had an anual check up with my family doctor in May of 2000 and I told him of the itching and he decided to do the blood work-up. I had been home about 45 minutes and he call ed and told me I had something wrong with my blood and he gave me another doctors phone number and call him soon as I hung the phone up. So; I called immediately and got an appoinment for the next day to see a hematologist. He asks lots of questions and says he would like to do a bone marrow extraction. He said it may take a week or so to get the results. I was scared to death that I had luekemia and couldn't sleep for that whole week. So when he called me back in and explained what I had and it was treatable and I wasn't gonna die just yet; I felt relief, but it's still something to live with and knowing there is no cure. So; I live each day as it comes and live it like it's my last. I don't dwell on it. I'm sorry to ramble on; but, it's niice having someone to tell UR story to and maybe make someone feel better!
Best Wishes Rnady

Old 02-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
(female)

kmarshy HB User

Quote:
Hi Karen! U know it's been so long I can't remember the count levels. It really didn't take 6 years to diagnose. The sytoms started in 1994; but, I didn't know what was going on. I started itching in my arms, chest, and my legs fromy knees down to my ankle (after ahot shower) would itch like crazy for about 45 minutes and then turn into a burning sensation and then go away. THen I started getting tight across my chest and anxiety level went sky high. My face was red like a stop sign and then; I had a couple of stays in the hospital and thought it was my heart. I had an anual check up with my family doctor in May of 2000 and I told him of the itching and he decided to do the blood work-up. I had been home about 45 minutes and he call ed and told me I had something wrong with my blood and he gave me another doctors phone number and call him soon as I hung the phone up. So; I called immediately and got an appoinment for the next day to see a hematologist. He asks lots of questions and says he would like to do a bone marrow extraction. He said it may take a week or so to get the results. I was scared to death that I had luekemia and couldn't sleep for that whole week. So when he called me back in and explained what I had and it was treatable and I wasn't gonna die just yet; I felt relief, but it's still something to live with and knowing there is no cure. So; I live each day as it comes and live it like it's my last. I don't dwell on it. I'm sorry to ramble on; but, it's niice having someone to tell UR story to and maybe make someone feel better!
Best Wishes Rnady
Wow Pottsey, you are an inspiration to us all. I think how you can talk and HELP others is fantastic. I read about the itching etc. and the red face, neither of which I get. I used to itch after a bath really bad but now I am mostly extremely thirsty in the bath. I do itch in the shower but its just "hot water". My face is not red though so I think I can rule this one out. I just get every now and again this little veins burst but before they do they hurt like crazy (mostly hands and feet) and then swell and then burst. Not all the time but I had mentioned this to the docs and she asked for more tests. I also get subconjuntival hemmorages too and they are quite a few. All these could be to do with BP I suppose the whites are not too high and the platelets either. Just 15000 and 501 but I think they are back down to 13 now. I am fatigued but then again suffer depression. I suffer anxiety too. It does help listening to others and what their symptoms are. I thank you for sharing this with us. I will watch this thread for more news of yourself and Cheerus though. I hope that cheerus is doing ok and posts back.

Thanks again Randy

Karen xx

Closed Thread