It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

rowes HB User
functional B12 deficiency and high platelets

Due to two successive blood tests indicating a high platelet count, I was referred to a hematologist. He felt that the high count was due to either iron deficiency without anemia or a B12 deficiency. With further testing and a still elevated platelet count, he concluded that even though my B12 count was within the normal range, acids in my body that should be eliminated by B12 were at a high level, suggesting that the B12 was not performing effectively and that an increase in B12 was needed. I am taking B12 shots, two in three days, then once weekly for six weeks to be followed by either sub lingual tablets or a nasal spray. Does this sound like a good disgnosis? It makes sense to me, but what do I know!?!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User
Re: functional B12 deficiency and high platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowes View Post
Due to two successive blood tests indicating a high platelet count, I was referred to a hematologist. He felt that the high count was due to either iron deficiency without anemia or a B12 deficiency. With further testing and a still elevated platelet count, he concluded that even though my B12 count was within the normal range, acids in my body that should be eliminated by B12 were at a high level, suggesting that the B12 was not performing effectively and that an increase in B12 was needed. I am taking B12 shots, two in three days, then once weekly for six weeks to be followed by either sub lingual tablets or a nasal spray. Does this sound like a good disgnosis? It makes sense to me, but what do I know!?!
Hi
Usually B12 deficiency can cause the platelets to be lower than normal......
There are many reasons they can be elevated so you may have 2 things going on at the same time did you have any other bloods done.....

But I think you are blessed to have a great doctor because most would do your B12 say oh its normal even when it is still low and say well it cant be that.........Luckily your doc had the good insight to test further by doing either a MMA or Homocysteine which can be elevated in a deficiency of B12.....
The regime he has you on is one to treat PA it is a typical protocol for B12...My doc treats me with Methylcobalamin 10,000 mcg 3 times a week and I had severe neurological symptoms that have now all gone..........It would be great to keep up with the subs and they best type is Methylcobalamin if you are in the US I believe Jarrows is the best one to use and make sure you keep them between the top lip and teeth and allow to dissolve for 40 mins to get good absorption.....

Is your doc going to find out why you have a deficiency this is very important as somethings can be inherited so if you have kids it is wise to find out.........Things like celiac can bet reated and eventually you will be able to absorbe the B12 naturally........I have this but I am staying on life long injections as my doc thinks thats a good idea and I want to anyway to be sure........Other things like medications can be the culprit so many things....

I am sure he will be looking into you High platelet levels too....Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
(male)

Bulgogi1970 HB User
Re: functional B12 deficiency and high platelets

Hi Rowes, could you post an updated on the diagnosis from your doctor?
I am in the same boat as you. I went thru whole thing with mri, ultra sound, blood test, liver test, bone marrow sample and he concluded that I had a bone marrow disorder and he presrybed hydrea and taking 1 aspirin a day (87mg).

Before this I have NEVER had any symptons, at al. I am over weight but not morbidly over weight, I do watch what I eat for the past 14 years very little red meat at all mostly fish, turkey, and chicken..so when I read your vitamin defficency got me thinking. Please let me know...I hate taking Hydrea I dont get most of the side effects (been taking it for 2 weeks) but I get extremely tired.

Thank YOu.

Closed Thread