It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

crystalbart HB User
High WBC Low Platelets - HELP

I''m back again and still really concerned and scared.

I can't find any posts where people have had blood work like mine.

High white blood cell count 12.4, neutrophils 9.2 and platelets low at 134.

The white cell count could be high because of a suspected infection and I am on anitibiotics.

But the low platelet count has me very concerned. The internet research always shows up leukaemia or other frightenting diseases. I am certainly not pregnant.

Is anyone aware of other less sinister and treatable disorders that can return low platelet counts?

I lost my sister last year to an undiagnosed illness and I don't want the same to happen to me. I am completely paranoid.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: High WBC Low Platelets - HELP

Hi there and welcome to the boards,

Your white cell count is really not that high. Twelve is nothing to worry about. What infection are you being treated for?

Your platelets are low, yes, but not that low. The problem with reading information on the internet is that you are getting a bunch of knowledge with no context. All this will do is make you worry. Yes you can see low platelet counts with leukemia, but you will see low everything else including a low hemoglobin and a low white count--which you don't have!

134 is a bit on the low side (150 is the low normal), but the thing is, if you have an infection right now, that in itself can lower your platelets. You should just have your platelets checked again in a few weeks when you're feeling better. The most common cause of low platelets in young women is immune thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP. This is a disease where one's immune system decides to attack its own platelets and chew them up. It starts becoming a problem if one needs to go to surgery or of one starts to have symptoms of bleeding like little petechiae (small capillary bleeds), heavy periods, bleeding gums etc. Usually people don't run in to any problems until the platelets are <30.

Don't worry too much, wait until you're better and get your blood rechecked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread