It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

kelly317 HB User
what would cause coumadin levels to drop

Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: what would cause coumadin levels to drop

do you drastically change your diet everyday? My dad's dr told him he could have a glass of wine as long as he had it everyday or it would change his levels. Iceberg lettuce, brocolli, certain food change the levels. Were you given a list of foods that can affect the coumadin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

sunnyca4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly317 View Post
I have been on coumadin now for 7 months you really have to watch what you eat. If you have a salad one day you need to have the same amount the next day. Eating anything green can make you levels change.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

pepper38mint HB User

I've been on coumadin since August 2008. I hate it! I have a small blockage in a vein in my heart and that is why they put me on it. The worse part is the bruising. I've always had a problem with bruising but this is now ridiculous. Last night I felt something on my arm and I pulled up my sleeve and I had a blue lump on my arm that was about an inch and a half high. Now today it has lowered but half of my arm is black and blue. I ask myself why am I taking rat poison.

I still don't understand the levels. My level is low right now and I don't know why. I am not a big fan of green vegetables so I know I'm not getting too much vitamin K. I love V-8 juice so I will have a small glass of that maybe two or three times a week so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I sure wish there was another alternative to this rat poison.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

debberdee HB User

I am new to this so I am not sure that anyone will still be on this thread....I had blood clots break loose from my leg and go to my lungs 2 years ago...My INR has never stayed stable....I have a list of so many things that can cause it to go up and down....There are so many things that people aren't even aware of such as canola oil, fish oil capsules, all multi-vitamins are off limits because they have Vitamin K in them... Citrus juices...especially grapefruit juice is a no-no as well as cranberry juice. Someone mentioned V-8 juice, it has vegies in it that can affect your INR....My doctor did say that there are approx. 20 % of those on coumadin whose INR never remains in what is considered normal....One week I am at 1.2 and the next at 4.8 and bleeding out...all the while my diet and coumadin dosage has remained the same.
I have Lupus and my blood disorder was caused from it so I will be on Coumadin the rest of my life....I try to study and research all that I can so that perhaps someday I will be a little less stressed with my up and down levels...All I can say to someone in this same situation is to read and research all you can.

The following user gives a hug of support to debberdee:
misscarolyn923 (08-26-2011)
Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

DHS HB User

I was told to not drink cranberry, pomegranate and grapefruit juice because they can cause interactions with Coumadin. Green Tea is also on the no-no list.

Closed Thread