HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Blood and Blood Vessel (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/blood-blood-vessel/)
-   -   can high folic acid make B12 levels appear normal? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/blood-blood-vessel/667989-can-high-folic-acid-make-b12-levels-appear-normal.html)

caseymay 02-03-2009 01:53 AM

can high folic acid make B12 levels appear normal?

Hi,

I have had my B12 and folic acid levels checked as I am tired all the time, am losing hair etc......

My B12 was normal but my folic acid was high (it was 20 - top of the range should be 14). I was asked if I take folic acid or vitamin supplements but I don't.

Doctor said not to worry and that B12 is fine so there is not a problem.

I have read that high folic acid can mask B12 - does it just mask the B12 symptoms, or can it make a B12 blood test result appear normal too? In short, I am wondering whether I need to follow this up.

Advise please!!!! xxxx

robinegg 02-03-2009 03:18 AM

Re: can high folic acid make B12 levels appear normal?

[QUOTE=caseymay;3872190]Hi,

I have had my B12 and folic acid levels checked as I am tired all the time, am losing hair etc......

My B12 was normal but my folic acid was high (it was 20 - top of the range should be 14). I was asked if I take folic acid or vitamin supplements but I don't.

Doctor said not to worry and that B12 is fine so there is not a problem.

I have read that high folic acid can mask B12 - does it just mask the B12 symptoms, or can it make a B12 blood test result appear normal too? In short, I am wondering whether I need to follow this up.

Advise please!!!! xxxx[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me what your B12 levels actually were........
When I was diagnosed my folate was low but my sons was throuogh the roof its common to have high folate with low B12 if you can tell me what it was I can give some further suggestions to you...
folate canmask B12 def by completely correcting blood counts correcting characteristic megablastic anemia but the neuro damage will still continue did your doc do a CBC as well? and Iron studies too...

Also if you are loosing hair not a symptom of B12 to my knowledge it can be realtted to zinc def or commonly thyriod problems (which also make you fatigue) which by the way are strongly connected with low B12.....

Do you have in pins and needlse in the extremeties, anxiety, depression, muscle pain, burning feet, memory problems, stomach issues these are just a small lot of symptoms for B12 def there is many many more

Let me know your levels if you have them we can go from there

Good luck

caseymay 02-03-2009 05:56 AM

I didn't get my B12 levels, just told they were normal. Yes, i have problems with my arms /hands on both sides. numbness, tingling, pain. Carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel symptoms but tests all normal. that is why I thought about B12 and got it tested. I also take metformin which can inhibit the absorption of B12. CBC's were normal. Thyroid normal although I am not convinced as he only tested TSH and not FT4 or FT3. Liver slightly raised. Somethings not right here. I don't take any supplements so why high folate levels? I am not sure whether I am being paranoid or not. I wish i had got the blood results!

robinegg 02-03-2009 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=caseymay;3872334]I didn't get my B12 levels, just told they were normal. Yes, i have problems with my arms /hands on both sides. numbness, tingling, pain. Carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel symptoms but tests all normal. that is why I thought about B12 and got it tested. I also take metformin which can inhibit the absorption of B12. CBC's were normal. Thyroid normal although I am not convinced as he only tested TSH and not FT4 or FT3. Liver slightly raised. Somethings not right here. I don't take any supplements so why high folate levels? I am not sure whether I am being paranoid or not. I wish i had got the blood results![/QUOTE]

Hi caseymay
Can you go back and get those test results printed out you are right about metformin I too had the carpel tunnel symptoms........My son has just been diagnosed with B12 def and his folate was high to the doc said oh you must eat lots of greens he used too but not these days such a teenager.....
I really think you need to look into the B12 casey I think this is a issue for you return to the doc and ask for a UMMA ttests shows def if levels are in the refernce range....
Damage can occur in the levels below 500.........I started getting sick at 372 I believe I have always been low but was always told it was normal mine fell to 130 before any one put it together by that stage I was really sick...It is a slow insideous thing....

Good luck

caseymay 02-04-2009 06:42 AM

thanks for getting back to me. I shall go to my doctor and ask for the results. I assume your carpal tunnel was due to B12 deficiency then???? My doctor said b12 deficiency only affects the lower limbs - but I think he is wrong.

robinegg 02-04-2009 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=caseymay;3873668]thanks for getting back to me. I shall go to my doctor and ask for the results. I assume your carpal tunnel was due to B12 deficiency then???? My doctor said b12 deficiency only affects the lower limbs - but I think he is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Hi Casey
i never had carpel tunnel as such just the symptoms of it if that makes any sense.....And sorry to say your doctor is very very wrong it affects the arms and legs,hands and feet, and it can go to the trunk area as well ......My spine was affected and i would get shock like jabs all over mainly around the kidney area toes and finger and they really hurt for a bit

Let us know your results when you get them

Good luck

caseymay 02-05-2009 12:29 AM

thanks. I'm similar to you in that I have carpal tunnel symptoms but not actually carpal tunnel. I will get my results but at the moment England is covered in a blanket of snow and I can't leave the house as the roads are all blocked. Children are off school though so we're going to build a snowman!! will let U know results when I get them. x

robinegg 02-05-2009 02:20 AM

[QUOTE=caseymay;3874670]thanks. I'm similar to you in that I have carpal tunnel symptoms but not actually carpal tunnel. I will get my results but at the moment England is covered in a blanket of snow and I can't leave the house as the roads are all blocked. Children are off school though so we're going to build a snowman!! will let U know results when I get them. x[/QUOTE]

Yes I believe the weather is rough there at the moment you have fun biulding that snowman It is hot here cant wait for the autumn to arrive

take care:wave:

caseymay 02-17-2009 02:33 AM

Hello. I finally got my results back:

serum folate: 20.00ng/ml (2.4-14.0)
B12: 412pg/ml (144-950)

I think my B12 is kind of in the middle. Can high folate levels affect the B12 bloodwork to make it appear normal?

CM

geniusgera 04-22-2010 12:50 PM

Hi I have a similar issue where in my

B12 are 179 and my folic acid is more then 20

I have extreme weekness in my Left Quads.

No solutions from docs till now

Any Advice will be great help

Gera

[QUOTE=robinegg;3872219]Can you tell me what your B12 levels actually were........
When I was diagnosed my folate was low but my sons was throuogh the roof its common to have high folate with low B12 if you can tell me what it was I can give some further suggestions to you...
folate canmask B12 def by completely correcting blood counts correcting characteristic megablastic anemia but the neuro damage will still continue did your doc do a CBC as well? and Iron studies too...

Also if you are loosing hair not a symptom of B12 to my knowledge it can be realtted to zinc def or commonly thyriod problems (which also make you fatigue) which by the way are strongly connected with low B12.....

Do you have in pins and needlse in the extremeties, anxiety, depression, muscle pain, burning feet, memory problems, stomach issues these are just a small lot of symptoms for B12 def there is many many more

Let me know your levels if you have them we can go from there

Good luck[/QUOTE]