It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

horizons HB User
Bad Blood Test Results. Help

Late last year I went in for my annual GYN exam. My doctor commented that my pulse was really high. (I always freak out at GYN exams due to past exams that were painful.) We got to talking and I'd mentioned that I'd been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse about a year or two prior and at the same point in time they said I may have a hyperthyroid. I did have one off an on, which my endocrinologist said was probably just out of whack from a virus I picked up. Still, my GYN wanted to send me for some blood tests. We stalled and stalled about the test, but finally had them done about a month ago, maybe a month and a half.

The office just called but didn't speak to me (spoke to my mother). Apparently my tests came back that I have a high red blood cell count and a high hematocrit count. My GYN is going to issue that I go in for more tests. I looked these things up on the internet and found they can be caused by many different things. I got pretty worried pretty fast. My values were only like .3 to .5 over what they should be, but with my personal and family history of heart problems as well as having asthma and a child, a lot of the stuff with it being caused by a heart or lung problem really freaked me out. A lot of them are really bad things like right-sided heart failure and other pretty major heart problems. To make matters worse, I was up at my Grandmother's the other day helping her around the house. She was having oxygen delivered there for her on a doctors order and the nurse that came in to give it to her asked if I was okay because something about the way my chest was shaped (one side higher than the other) made her think I was having a problem. She scared me pretty good too, made me think I was having a heart attack or something. My cardiologist didn't mention me having any problem other than mitral valve prolapse two years ago.

I'm only 22 and even with my past problems I can't picture myself having heart failure or something at this age. I would also like to point out that the tech that drew my blood for the test mentioned that I was a little dehydrated and that I need to start drinking more. According to everything I've been reading dehydration (from burns or diarreah; which I had none of) can also cause this condition.

I'm going in for more blood tests this Thursday. I guess I just wanted some reassurance and wanted to know what everyone else thought was going on given my results in their opinion. Its it possible since they were just .3 - .5 off that its just dehydration? Or am I seriously looking at the possibility of having a major heart problem? This is pretty important to me as I recently began taking a martial arts course that does a lot of cardio work and is pretty intense.

I'm going to be picking up the orders for the new bloodwork later and will hopefully be able to ask the doctor exactly what it is he is looking for.

UPDATE: Asked doctor yesterday exactly what he was looking for and he said he wanted to rule out the possibility of anemia. Doesn't exactly make since to me since anemia is a low blood count, not a high blood count like what my results had.

Last edited by horizons; 03-18-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread