It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
painful vein in leg

I have a tender spot in my leg. it's like a vein bulged a little and feels like a bruise when I touch it. I've had a blood clot before in a different part of my leg and it was pink and warm. This one's not like that, so I don't think it's a clot, but I don't know what it is. I have varicose veins in that leg too, but they don't hurt, they just look all knotted up in the back of my knee. this spot is on the side of my leg a couple inches below my knee.
also lately been feeling like a pinching feeling on the top of my foot, around a vein, but I don't see anything abnormal.
any ideas?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: painful vein in leg

It is impossible to diagnose a blood clot clinically unless one leg is hugely swollen, red and painful compared to another and you can actually see the deep vein swollen and hard like a rope. This is one of the most frustrating things in medicine, and the only way around it is to assess a patient's risk factors for having a clot and then ordering the right test to either rule it in or out. All the symptoms you mention are non-specific. If your leg begins to swell or change colour, I would seek medical attention. If it goes away, it was likely nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

what if it stays the same? I doubt it's going away, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. there's no swelling, etc

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

I should have made something a bit more clear in my previous message--when I said it's almost impossible to diagnose a leg clot clinically, I was referring to a DEEP vein leg clot. Superficial leg clots are easy to diagnose in most cases. If it's staying the same, not changing and other than the pain it's otherwise asymptomatic, it's probably nothing. Just keep an eye on it and if there are superficial signs of inflammation or the bump grows, seek medical attention.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks again for responding. wouldn't I have swelling with a deep vein clot?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

A deep vein clot can definitely cause swelling, but the problem is, there is a significant chunk of people where there is no swelling. In other words, it is not a sensitive symptom and absence of swelling does not rule out deep vein thrombosis of the leg.

DVT is actually a fairly tricky diagnosis to make, and you usually can't do it clinically (i.e. from a simple history and physical examination).

Closed Thread