It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

madeinoz HB User
High White Blood Cell count in Pregnancy

Can anyone offer any reason for raised white blood cell count - I am 22 weeks pregnant and it has been constantly raising each month.

I am fit and healthy and have no sign of infection - all test for Urinary tract infections came back clear as well..

19 Dec - 10.5
20 Jan - 11.7
16 Feb - 12.8
20 Mar - 18.3

My Gyno/midwife is shrugging it off but has not offered any explanation as to what may cause it

Is there any risk for my baby or me ??
I would appreciate any help in this

Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: High White Blood Cell count in Pregnancy

Hi their maidenoz,

An elevated white count is actually a very normal thing in pregnancy. When one performs a white count, it's done from blood which is collected from a vein. You are only counting the white blood cells which are floating around in the bloodstream. The truth is, though that there are tons of white cells which are stuck to the sides of the blood vessels and aren't sampled when you draw blood. There are certain conditions where larger numbers of these blood cells are released from the wall and it makes the number of cells floating around more numerous. This process is called demargination and it doesn't have any clinical relavance.

In your case, unless you are having worrisome symptoms of an infection or physical stress, the white count doesn't mean much. Yes, 18 is starting to get high, but in isolation it doesn't mean anything and in and of itself is no harm to you or your baby. It is very important they have checked you for urinary tract infection as that can result in a fever and white count and any amount of bacteria in a pregnant mom's urine should be treated (unlike in an otherwise healthy non-pregnant adult).

I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on that result. Your obbie isn't "shrugging it off"--it just seems that way because you're probably not familiar with normal, clinically irrelavant variations in bloodwork which your obbie is. Sometimes doctors take for granted that certain things which are seemingly so simple (because they've been inundated with it for years during their training) may not be so simple to someone who has no medical training. Again, your obbie knows that an elevated white count in isolation is of no consequence, but rest assured both the OB and the midwife are keeping a close eye on things--that's what they've gone through multiple years of training for!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
(female)

madeinoz HB User

thank you for the reasurrance..

i just needed some kind of explanation.. which you have provided.. many thanks again

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

kmarshy HB User

I am not pregnant but have unexplained high whites and have had for the past 4 years. When my doc first noticed this he asked me if I was pregnant by any chance, he was only joking but he said it would explain mine.

I would not worry as high whites are common in pregnancy. Hope you go on OK and best wishes with the baby.

xx

Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

NICHOL1 HB User

Hi...just wanted to know if this resolved for you? I also have a high white count and am 26 weeks prego.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

madeinoz HB User

Hi -
My White count has remained high and my doc is monitoring closely with monthly blood test...
the highest has been almost 19 but is steady at around 14 mostly now...

Im not too worried as from the research i have done It is very common in preg. I will have more blood work done again after delievery and see what happens

Good luck with your pregnancy too

Reply Reply