It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

Alias977 HB User
Unhappy Low White Cell and High Monocytes??? my 15 yr old daughter....HELP

My daughter who is 15 started coughing 3 days ago and spiked a high fever of 102 yesterday. CBC showed White cell to be 2.5....her normal for the last year or so has been 4.9-5-9. The monocytes were high...i believe it was 18. They tested her for mono and it was negative. I've been concerned about her white cell count for the last year because it was on the low end of normal. Her doctor said that for some people it's just normal to be that way. She has been taking Nasonex for the last year and I asked if that could be lowering it. He said no. I looked it up and it says that it can lower white cells?? Could this be a virus. I asked him point blank if this is something to be worried about. He said no. I asked him if it could be Cancer. He said no. She is coughing horribly and sneezing and blowing. Should she be on an antibiotic, or will that lower it even more? He wants me to bring her in the office for a recheck in a week or so. I think I should take her sooner? Why would her monocytes be high with a low white cell? This has me very scared. The first thing you see when you research it on the internet is Leukemia.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
(female)

Alias977 HB User
Re: Low White Cell and High Monocytes??? my 15 yr old daughter....HELP

UGGG....no replies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

DLTL HB User

I hope someone replies because I have the same problem and I am a little scared. My cousin is a doctor and I faxed him my blood results and I am hoping for an answer. Hope your daughter is better!!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

The same thing happened to me many years ago. My white cell count went to 0. They thought I had cancer. It turned out to be that my system was just very beat up by mono, which didn't show up for 2 more weeks. I was exhausted. They fixed the situation with a round of Prednisone (raises you white count) and IV gama globulin. (IVIG).

A low white count doesn't always mean cancer. It could be nothing - it could fix itself. Viruses can really hurt our systems, and there's so many that aren't identified.

If it continues, you'll probably have to see a hematologist.

Closed Thread