It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
(male)

kjarels HB User
Low platelet count

First of all my platelet count jumps up and down all the time but has never been higher then 153. Normal for this lab is 130-375. I keep records of all my lab work and my new Dr has this on his computer as well. During my annual exam last week my platelet count was slightly below normal at 128. Last year at this same time it was right at 130. The time before that I believe it was around 131. Back in 2004 I had two CBC's, one in August and the other in Dec. The one in August had my platelet count at 131 and 4 months later when tested it was 148. My question is 128 all that low. This new Dr wants me to come back in 6 weeks and retest it because he said it had been dropping. However, had he looked at my 2004 tests he can see how mine goes up one month and back down later. I am on lexapro, hydrochlothizide/Benicar and klonpin. I also take a 325 mg of aspirin. I was supposed to take this daily however I do skip it every now and then. He has me scared to death because of him mentioning it dropping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
(male)

kjarels HB User
Re: Low platelet count

Does anyone respond on here anymore??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Hi, I'm 57 and don't have much info but I will at least reply. Mine is 150 and have been between 145 and 160 and my doctor never even cared to say that is on the low side.I'm thinking since it goes up and down it isn't as dangerous as going down every year. The doctor will keep an eye on it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
(male)

ghreef HB User

Is your diet high in Omega-3 or any Omega fats? This would come from eating high amounts or fish. Also, if you take daily fish oil pills to help for heart health - that should be included in your Omega intake. Omega fats have a reported tendency to lower Platlet count. This is part of the reason as to why it keeps you cadio system healthy as it will keep arterial walls from hardening, but it also lowers platelet count which decreases clotting ability.

Just a thought that you may consider.

(and as a side note - I don't see much activity on the blood/blood vessel board so one day for lack of response isn't what I'd consider people "not responding" - but we do eventually)

Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Thanks for the info and yes I do take fish oil supplements. In fact I take 2 for breakfast and 2 for dinner or 4000 mg all together. It really helps my cholesterol numbers.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
(male)

ghreef HB User

Fish oil has many names. One of the most common is omega-3 fatty acid or its scientific abbreviation, N-3. N3 fatty acids are found mostly in fish, but are contained in other foods as well. Fish oil is the best food source of these fatty acids.

The primary benefit of N-3 fish oil is the reduction of platelet activity (blood clotting) and plaque formation which in turn can prevent heart attacks. Here’s how it works.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/fish_oil

There's more, but I wanted to give some "substance" to my "claims". So depending on when you take them, what you eat and other things, this could be an effect of the fish oil. You may want to mention your intake of the oil to your doctor.

FWIW - I tried to take fish oil but it severely affected my digestion in quite the negative way so I had to reduce all the way to 1 pill a day. It's still uncomfortable, but it's a manageable balance for the benefits.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

My wife had the same problem so I changed her to Flaxseed oil supplements. It is almost as good as fish oil and she has no problem digesting it.

The main problem I have is my hematocrit which was 47 in 2003 is now 53. The number is a little high but its the 1 point a year that it has incresed that scares me. It is true that last year I started testosterone injections but that would only count for 2 points of the 53. If it increases any more the doctor will probably take me off injections which is low cost and put me on gel which costs like $250/month. It is better to be healthy no matter the cost. Keep in touch.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
(male)

kjarels HB User

Wow, thanks because I take fish oil on a regular basis as well. Do you know anything about Pycnogenol??

Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I have an autoimmune disorder where antibodies cause my body to destroy platelets almost as fast as they're made. I just wish I could have counts like yours. Mine run in the 20-30k range normally, but just took a huge dip to 4k during a severe cold in August. They still aren't up to my 'normal' yet after 3 1/2 months of steroid treatment.

Yours may be low-normal according to the lab range, but they are perfectly adequate and will serve you just fine at that level. Start worrying when they run consistently to 50k or below.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

No, I'm sorry I haven't. Hope all goes well for you and for me though.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
(female)

runvus60 HB User

I am looking for information...my fiance has a low platelet count of 81 - he needs dental work done and they are refusing to do anything for fear he will die in the chair...I spoke to my oncologist / hematologist and he said "81's not bad"...this is the same man who told me that I needed to get a mammography after having both breasts removed due to cancer. Can someone intelligent help me?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Panic over a count of 81 is completely unwarranted. Platelets usually function normally down to 25-30k, and much of the time will be ok as low as 10k. He definitely won't die from a count of 81.

If this was a one-time low count for him, he could wait a short time, have another count done - which may then come back within normal range - and then have the work done. If he can't wait for the dental work, he should get a letter from a hematologist to present to the dentist, or he could simply find a better-informed dentist. (DDSs don't necessarily know much at all about blood counts.)

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
(female)

littleme1 HB User

I wouldn't be worried about his comments as it hasn't dropped all that much, as you have verified. If the drop was drastic you might start worrying a lot, but just testing in 6 weeks is to make sure everything is in line. I would definitely relax over the next 6 weeks and don't worry about it. He is just being proactive and making surenot to overlook anything in the long run, I'm sure! Don't stress!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
(female)

littleme1 HB User

I'm deleting my post because I posted to wrong question. Sorry!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
(male)

CFIDS HB User

My platelets have gone from 163 to 150 in the last 2-3 yrs...Also, my RBC count and hemocrit are high; 51 or 53 I can remember on the hemocrit...anyway, I too was on Testosterone Injections and I did some research and though (hope) that the increased hemocrit was from the injections...so the gel is less likely to do this?

I also am taking 4000mg of Ultimate Omega fish oil per day...I knew fish oil could "normalize" the clotting factor, but I did not think it had anything to do woth actual platelet counts...one doctor told me that platelet counts are only one piece of the puzzle and not a sole indicator of stroke risk & things like that...is that true and does fish oil really lower the counts?

I elevated hemocrit and 150 platelet count anything to be concerned about? My Albumin ratio is off too; I do eat a lot of meat and whey protein too...I have CFIDS too.

thx

EDIT: not sure if it was my RBC or hemoglobin that was elevated, but the point is that my hemocrit was for certain. Also my potassium was low on that trip (to ER)

Last edited by CFIDS; 02-23-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Closed Thread