It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
(male)

dylanmumm HB User
high blood pressure at 20?

Im 20 years old and in very good shape. Lift weights 4-6 days a week and run roughly 20 miles a week. Very clean diet which is focused on building (low sodium, no red meat). Ive noticed pressure in my neck and flushing in my face in the last year quite often. Made a visit to the doctor yesterday on a particularly nasty pressure spike. it read 165/100. whats unusual is that i dont have consistent blood pressure issues, just random spikes. my question is, what could be causing these spikes? they dont seem to have any connection to working out or running, but strangly eating. if my sugar levels get a little low and i eat a big meal about an hour later i have a tremendous pressure spike. is this me searching for a symptom or is there a connection between blood sugar and pressure?

p.s. high blood pressure runs in the family. father has had it since 15, also very active

Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: high blood pressure at 20?

have you seen your doc for a full physical just to really fully check out all blood labs and functions along with just getting the ECG done to see how your heart rhythems are too? one thing that can raise out BPs has to do with the kidneys/adrenal gland(but can be the kidneys themselves too). just having those kidney functions fully checked and also them doing a fasting blood sugar may help in trying to narrow down all possibles.

when it comes to being able to really fully Dx anything as 'reasons' for certain symptoms, its pretty much a matter of testing the most "likely' things first and either ruling something in or out that would kind of track back any symptoms to the more natural base of operations so to speak? but considering your particular family history here you really DO need probably a bit more in depth evaluating with the cardiac issues/aspect. you just really DO need to know if this is affecting you too right now. high BPs can in some cases be an indicator of underlying cardiac problems too?

the thing here is, what that very top number actually is or tells, the "systolic" number is how much pressure is being exserted upon the arterial walls when the heart is in the 'contraction' phase(filling)? and the bottom/diastolic number is how much pressure is there when the heart is in the "resting" phase(the blood is released and sent out)? so there IS a very direct connection there that just should be checked much more in depth, even despite a younger age. when there is a very strong family history of just about anything really, children can present at just about any time in their own way with some 'familial' types of symptoms of whatever the condition actually just is.

what really is good in all this is that you are already taking good care of yourself. that IS a big plus for you. but DO seek out your primary here for a very in depth physical right now. you just should NOT be having BPs like this at your age. considering everything, i seriously do think he also needs to send you for a really in depth cardiac workup which would include also doing the treadmill stress test too? you just really DO NEED to know how things are going inside right now. good luck with all this testing and please let me know anything you find out, K? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

littleme1 HB User

I may be mistaken but it is my understanding the chronic hypertension can lead to blood pressure spikes. That is one of the dangers of leaving chronic hypertension untreated. Your bp readings are along the lines of a hypertensive emergency, if you ever have any changes in your vision, a terrible headache, bloody nose, try to check your bp immediately and go to the ER. A part from hypertensive emergencies, high blood pressure doesn't have any symptoms. If you have symptoms of high blood pressure, you are in the red flag danger zone and need immediate treatment. I know it is frustrating to be diagnosed with high blood pressure when you are young, active and healthy. If you doctor hasn't already suggested it you really need to start treatment with a medication such as a calcium channel blocker and ace inhibitor. Best wishes.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

femmedeviant HB User

Hi dylanmumm!

I may be just throwing this out there as I don't have BP issues myself, but I know that for me what I eat (or don't eat) has a huge impact on my BP. I am 23. If I don't eat enough or skip a meal my blood sugar drops so I feel really dizzy and weak. When I eat it brings the blood sugar back up and I am fine. Perhaps you could talk to a nutritionist too, maybe you're not eating enough for the amount of working out you do? Just because the BP spikes seem to have something to do with eating. What the other replies about getting the medical tests were good points too! I hope you figure it out soon either way!

Megan

Closed Thread