It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

slkanger HB User
Coumadin levels too low

My 61 yr old husband had a massive stroke in December. He's on a number of various meds. but when they transferred from the hospital to a Skilled Nuirsing facility 3 weeks ago, the hospital failed to tell the SNF he was on coumadin (it wasn't on his transfer sheet). They started him back up 2 weeks ago on Coumadin but now is having trouble getting the level between 2 - 3. It stays around 1.1 to 1.5. Even though they have increased the dosage to 20 mg. it still reads 1.1 to 1.5. What could be causing this? No one at the hospital ever told me it was low when he was there. They have put a call in the pharmacy to see if any of the meds he is on are causing his body not absorb the coumadin. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
(female)

shipscook1 HB User
Re: Coumadin levels too low

I have been working on keeping mine level since November.
From searching it seems that some antibotics can interfer with it. Also one needs to watch the intake of Vitamin K. Not to cut out foods with Vitamin K, but to try and maintain the amount consumed constant. In other words don't not have any greens or other foods with lots of K and then have a huge spinach salad in one day.

There is a Coumadin Cookbook offered on amazon right now. I ordered it last week, watch for used ones!

My problem is now I have become anemic and of course the foods with the most iron are mostly high in Vitamin K? it ain't fair, but I am taking supplements.

Good luck and take care,

Nan

Last edited by shipscook1; 03-15-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

slkanger HB User

He isn't eating foods, he just have a feeding tube. They even checked that too see if there was too much of something in it and there wasn't. It took 2 weeks but his levels finally came up to 2.1 then 2.5, then 2.7 and back to 2.1. So far he's in the low 2's but they don't know why it took 2 weeks to get it to budge. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
(female)

Chreey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkanger View Post
He isn't eating foods, he just have a feeding tube. They even checked that too see if there was too much of something in it and there wasn't. It took 2 weeks but his levels finally came up to 2.1 then 2.5, then 2.7 and back to 2.1. So far he's in the low 2's but they don't know why it took 2 weeks to get it to budge. Thanks.
Maybe whatever caused the stroke also made it more difficult to raise the coumadin levels; glad to hear they're in range now. Good luck to both of you--are they doing any rehab with him at the nursing home?

Closed Thread