It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

Gem1204 HB User
Blood type B+ with Antigen HLA-B27 Antigen

My wife was recently dianoised with ivititus and uveitus. After running extensive tests by our doctor it was determined that she also had the
HLA-B27 antigen.

In 1970 during her first pregnancy during routine blood tests she was told that her blook type was B+ plus antibody P1. After finding out she had
HLA-B27 antigen I tried to google antibody P1 and get some information but was not able to find anything. That was over 30 years ago but I'm pretty sure it was describe to us as B Positive with Antibody P1.

Does anyone know if HLA-B27 or Antibody P1 is extremely rare and whether or no she should be concerned about it if she should ever need blood or anything else we should be concerned with?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Blood type B+ with Antigen HLA-B27 Antigen

Hi, I hate that you have not had any responses. Please know that this is only a laypersons interpretation and you should be able to have your questions answered by your family doctor, rheumatologist , opthamologist or hematologist.
That being said, blood is divided into groups O, A, B, AB and rhesus (rh) factor positive (+) or negative (-). Your wife is blood group B+. The blood CAN also be subdivided further into other blood group systems. Sometimes this is checked in case a transfusion is necessary?? All individuals carry antigens from other blood group systems and they may develop antibodies if transfused with blood containing antigens absent on their own RBCs. There are many systems.....ie. Lewis, Kell, Duffy, Mcleod, Kidd, Lutheran and P blood group systems to name a few.
The most common phenotype of the P system is P1 and P2. P1 individuals have P and P1 antigens present on the RBC. I believe from reading, but as I said previously I am NOT a professional, that P1 is the most common.

The HLA-B27 antigen is a specific protein exists on the surface of the body’s white blood cells and is associated with ankylosing spondylitis,reactive arthritis, certain eye disorders such as acute anterior uveitis and iritis, psoriatic arthritis and ulcerative colitis. However, HLA-B27 is found in 5 - 7% of Caucasians who do not have an autoimmune disorder.

So P1 has to do with red blood cells and HLA-B27 has to do with white blood cells. I hope that helps a little. Please consult with the opthamologist for more information. Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 04-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
(male)

Gem1204 HB User

Thanks for the response Hoppy. Like you, I hate that it took so long to respond and thank you for your laypersone's response which was way above me. You really seem to know what you were talking about it.

I wouldn't really hate it that no one else responded...maybe no one else could effectivly answer the questions as well as you. I have been to a lot of forums where the answers are nothing but junk...I guess people just like to put something out so they can get credit for answering a question.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

You are welcome. If you didn't understand something, I perhaps could try to explain it another way. I hope it helped somewhat or at least gave you a base to ask questions of the doctor. I don't really know much but love learning about this and try to learn a little each day.

Closed Thread