It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
(male)

FastOne HB User
Smile I have a high levels of RBC and Platelets.

Hello everybody, My name is Tim and I just got the news today that I have a PV. I have a high levels of RBC and Platelets. Doc did a bone marrow test and confirmed the original diagnosis. I am only 22!!!. I have read all the 19 pages of this thread and I do not have any of the sympoms. I was very scared when i got the news as the doctor said that he never seen anybody with PV at that age. I do not have any itching, redness, headaches, or , He suggested that we start with Phlebotomy or bloodletting and 81mg of Aspirin. My hemoglobin is at 15.2 and HCT at 52. From what I undrstand that is within norm just on the higher side. Platelets at 900. I know that is high, but they were there at that level for last few years, RBC is high too but i do not remember the number. I was on Accutane for my acne a few yars back. I am was very worried, but feel a bit better now since i found this site and figured that it is manageable. I will post on here when I know more. Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
(female)

femmedeviant HB User
Re: I have a high levels of RBC and Platelets.

Hi Tim! I'm Megan from the other thread and was 22 when I was diagnosed with PV a year and a half ago. I am happy you found this site as I have found it to be a great resource and support. It is not common for someone our age to have this but it does happen and it's good to know you're not alone

My counts were probably around what yours are now. I'm not sure what all the counts were but my platelets were close to 900. I had complications as you might have read but am doing great now and #'s in the normal range (HCT between 37-40, when it gets close to 40 I get a phlebotomy which was done 10 weeks ago and will do it again this week) and platelets 300-350. I am lucky to have a great hematologist to work with and am excited to be expecting my first baby boy in October. PV makes that a little complicated but it has been great so far! After baby is born my platelets will probably shoot back up but my Dr. is OK with that until they get closer to 800. I take blood thinners right now but will be stopping them around December, and just taking Aspirin and doing the phlebs when needed. I hope everything works out smoothly.

PV is definitely manageable and actually has been very easy for me to adjust to. Even though I have been on blood thinners since finding out, it's still something that is pretty easy to live with. Since getting it under control I don't really have any symptoms either, just headaches when my HCT gets higher and I need blood out. I hope you get more answers that you're looking for and if you have any ?'s, please ask!

Megan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread