It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

kschelst HB User
venous insufficiency/hypertension

Has anyone been diagnosed with venous insufficiency and venous hypertension? I just got diagnosed with these conditions last week and my vascular surgeon is coming up with a treatment plan. However, I've noticed many more visible veins in my arms and hands as well. So I have an appointment at the Mayo Clinic to confirm my local surgeon's diagnosis and to make sure there isn't anything else wrong. This is affecting the veins in my feet as well, but with removal of the problem vein in my leg, the surgeon says that my feet should get back to somewhat normal and the veins should subside.

Just looking to see if anyone else has had vascular surgery and what they think about it.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
Re: venous insufficiency/hypertension

Can you tell us more about this condition? I'm not familiar with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

kschelst HB User

venous insufficiency is when the valves in your veins weaken to the point where blood no longer can move upward to your heart. the blood pools in the veins below the weakened valves. this is what is happening in my case, however it is pooling in the veins in my feet more than anywhere else, which is very unsightly. my surgeon has suggested a treatment plan to use laser surgery to collapse the greater saphenous vein and the lesser saphenous vein. this should alleviate the pressure on the veins in my feet. they should subside with time and my feet should feel and look better, although, they will still not look as nice as they did prior to my veins failing.

venous hypertension is caused from the inability of the blood to travel normally up the dysfunctional vein. the blood flow is impaired. once the saphenous vein is gone, then the blood will travel through healthier veins, therefore, making the red/purple color of my legs and feet go back to normal. the blood will no longer have the option of traveling up the unhealthy vein.

i'm not sure if this is a chronic problem because it does not have to do with my deep vein system. due to the extreme discomfort and poor quality of life I've experienced the past 2 months...can't wear sandals or shorts because the veins in my feet are dilated (i'm hoping they aren't varicose veins), and i have to wear compression socks at all times...i am going to the mayo clinic in minnesota to make sure nothing else is wrong and because they have a whole vascular center there.

i'm praying everyday that i can have a normal lifestyle. but everything i read on the internet convinces me that i won't.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

I had both of my upper and lower saphanous veins ablated or sealed off and i had both my upper saphanous veins removed. i have been pretty good for the last 3 years but this year the pain seems to be coming back. Not sure why have an appt with v asc surgeon next. i will update. Good luck

In my case venous insufficiency has been a chronic condition. i have had seven vein strippings and 4 ablation on the saphanous veins. My vas Dr says some people are just more prone than others. im not overweight try to eat right and walk every day although it is ;painful

Last edited by bigred4; 10-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Closed Thread