It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
(female)

snowangle909 HB User
How serious is high blood pressure at 18?

I don't go to the doctor very often due to lack of good insurance. So one day in November of last year, I was feeling very dizzy and faint all day. Well I went to the school nurse at my college and my blood pressure came up as 140/100. That was the only thing she found wrong with me. Since then, I've gotten my blood checked regularly with it still being 140/100. When I went home for Christmas, I went to the doctor and it was still 140/100. I got blood work done (kidney/liver tests), an EKG, and a heart echo done. Nothing abnormal came up. But when I went back to the school nurse, it had gone up to 148/106. And afterwards when I went for my echo, it was 157/104.

Anyways, I think I am overreacting right now. But my nurse gave me a pamphlet on blood pressure and strokes, and then I got the idea that the day I was feeling faint and went to the nurse was actually a TIA. It kinda gave me a shock and now I am very worried.

Am I overreacting? Have you had any experience with TIAs? Should I be on the lookout for symptoms of stroke? What are the risks of having high blood pressure at my age? What can I do to bring it down? I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, and it doesn't run in my family.

Last edited by snowangle909; 01-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: How serious is high blood pressure at 18?

Hi there,

At 18 I would be quite worried about HBP. I am one who also had very high BP at a young age, and at 43 I had 4 strokes at once. At the time, we did not have as much information about HBP as we do now, and the education was not like today. As a result, I never knew how serious it was until it was too late.

You have a great advantage, because there are so many good medications available that you can take to keep your BP down to a healthy level. I think medication is the answer here. It is not expensive either. You can get a 30 day supply for $4.00 at WalMart, for example.

Another thing you can do for yourself is learn to eliminate as much stress as possible. Keep exercising, a good diet and a little medication every day, you should be fine.

Now, if it is left untreated that is another story. But we do not need to go there, because you should be fine once you get going on a good BP medication.

Feel free to ask more questions, I have been through this whole thing. My best to you..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

FLguy HB User

What is your height,weight,sex,diet?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
(female)

snowangle909 HB User

I'm 5'4", 140ish pounds, female, and my diet is that of a college student (the doctor did suggest that maybe I was taking in too many sodium and carbs).

Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

FLguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangle909 View Post
I'm 5'4", 140ish pounds, female, and my diet is that of a college student (the doctor did suggest that maybe I was taking in too many sodium and carbs).
The diet of a college student? Would that be fast food? You are overweight indicating diet is a major concern. If I were you I would consider a raw foods diet. Nuts,carrots,salads without dressing other than olive oil. Anything raw. I would do this for thirty days without fail and then show your doctor the new blood pressure readings. I'm surprised he didn't tell you that but then again he is a doctor and all he knows is drugs because thats all they learn in the drug cartel funded medical schools

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
(female)

veggie2 HB User

You are right to be concerned, this is a problem that you definitely want to address. A question - have you ever tried taking your blood pressure at home, or as suggested above, at Walmart? You may want to do this to rule out "white coat syndrome" - at this point you are quite possibly nervous when you have your blood pressure checked at the doctor's office, which in turn can drive your blood pressure up. Checking it in a more familiar environment would be helpful to see if it is still elevated.

I don't think you had a TIA, your symptoms do not fit that, so you can rest assured about that part, IMO.

Any chance you are pregnant? That would fit...

I would also make sure that your doctor rules out kidney problems.

Good luck - I had a friend who had a similar problem in her mid-20s, they chalked it up to white coat syndrome and it has resolved. Hope it does for you as well.

Closed Thread