It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

Michelle814 HB User
I have to see a hematologist. Why?

So, a couple months ago I went to the doctor because I was sick for a couple weeks and wanted to know if I had pneumonia or something. They did a blood count and found that my white blood cell count was 7.1, my red was 3.44, my hemoglobin was 11.1, my platelets were 139 and my absolute lymphocytes was .7. All other things were normal. They wanted me to go to a hematologist after this but I said I wanted another blood count once I was healthy again. So, a month later I had it again. This time everything was normal except my white blood cell count was now 3.4, my red blood cells were 3.87, and my platelets were 101. Everything else previously abnormal were normal. I was already diagnosed with ITP so having low platelets is normal for me. I was told they were almost normal when I was sick because I was probably dehydrated and they swell up. So the only thing abnormal "for me" was the red and white blood cell count.

So, they STILL want me to see a hematologist. I asked another Dr. why and they said its probably because of the combo of my low red, white and platelets. My red and white count were not THAT low. I also took a Ferretin test which I believe is iron and that was normal too, so I don't believe I am anemic. So, why do they want me to see a hematologist? Is there some weird disorder I have? What would they do about it? I have my appointment next week but I may be unable to make it due to work. Now it may be pushed back another month. Is this something urgent? Any ideas why they want to see me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: I have to see a hematologist. Why?

When my daughter had ITP, I did some investigating to see what her future held. I found out that sometimes, ITP can morph into a disorder with low RBC's and low WBC's too and it can be very serious as you then become chronically anemic and can't fight off infection.

Hopefully it won't do this but it is a possibility and I guess they want to watch you carefully.

good luck.................Jenny

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: I have to see a hematologist. Why?

If you have ITP (I do too), then you should have a hematologist in case your platelets crash. A regular GP doesn't have the experience to handle it. They can prescribe Prednisone, but that's no good long term. There are so many more options. When I crash, I get the N-Plate shot. Only my hema could give me that.

I also have hemolytic anemia, which is like ITP for red blood cells. I developed this years after the ITP, so yes, so people develop other immune issues, but some don't.

And. White blood cell counts can swing wildly depending on what's going on - and it doesn't necessarily mean there's anything else wrong with you - it could just be a weird thing.

But it will be a good thing to have a hema. They won't bite you!

Closed Thread