It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

1frankgarcia HB User
polycythemia to anemia

ive had polycthemia for about 10 years controlling with phlebos. now my doc says i am anemic and this is due to the progression of the disease. whats happening is my spleen got even bigger, I lost 20 lbs and I got all kinds of pains in my legs like I just got done squating 1000 lbs or something, real sore legs and lethargic.I have no energy. THe cause of the anemia is my slpeen is killing off too many rbcs so its getting bigger which is causing my bone marrow to produce even more rbcs and putting a load of stress on the marrow which is bad because bone marrow under stress and cause scarring of the marrow and that is a new set of problems for me. I hate polycythemia.By the way all this happened in a 3 week peroid. the 3 weeks i ended my 10 year relationship she was cheating, so lots of stress. So guys avoid stress if you can. Now if my iron does not raise Im facing hydroxyurea yup chemo to help with the symptoms. wish me luck better than that please pray for me. ill keep you updated. thanks.

Last edited by 1frankgarcia; 03-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: 1frankgarcia
Chloe Zoe (09-05-2011), dunerkat58 (12-12-2011)
Old 12-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User
Re: polycythemia to anemia

My husband has had polycythemia for about 6 years and has phlebs monthly. He has periods of time where his counts are very high and then go back to a manageable level. I feel for you and the pain you are encountering. He gets pain in his legs and I will have him speak to his doctor about that. This disease is very frustrating and worrisome. I'm sorry you have to start taking the drugs, as they have their own side effects. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread