It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

fragmeister HB User
Blood draw issues.. What is going on?

Recently, I have been issued by my doctor to have a blood test. Like many, I do not enjoy the experience and usually get nervous, but have never had any issues giving blood until now.

In the last two weeks I have visited my local nurses twice to have blood tests done, and both times to no avail. The first time was in early morning, she tried twice, and couldn't get any blood. I assumed it was because I was rather nervous since it was a new place I hadn't been to, etc. However, this has never stopped me giving blood before and left me very confused. The second time, a week later (yesterday), I did everything by the book. I was confident, because the nurse was incredibly helpful, I drank plenty of water the night before and in the morning before I went in, and kept myself nice and cozy warm. My veins looked perfect for drawing, but again, she tried twice to no avail. She had a colleague of hers try aswell, and her colleague tried 3 vacutainers which I heard each of them decompress.

I have NEVER been unable to give blood. I'm not sure what the issue is! Is it the vacutainers, the nurses, or myself? I am scheduled for another draw in another 2 weeks so my arm can heal. They are talking of going straight for using a butterfly needle, but what happens then if they can't draw blood from that? I really hope this works as I'm losing patience with this procedure.. Would really like to know if anyone else has had this happen to them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Blood draw issues.. What is going on?

I doubt there is anything wrong with you, a combination of bad luck and the nurses missing the vein. They could have been having bad days.

Pup

Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
(male)

bien HB User

I feel for you as I had the same problem.

Don't know if it was collagen or rolling veins, but many times a draw wasn't successful. I think it is somehow the body's defense mechanism to harm. This happens on death row on a regular basis. Operator error and stress compound it, too.

So, here's the solution I finally used....

.....Have them draw blood using a butterfly from your hand.

It has never failed with me. In fact, I've taken many Orencia 45 minutes infusions from my hand vein.

After you get used to it (a little more painful, but not much), lose the butterfly for a regular needle and you'll cut the draw time in half.

Let us know if this technique works for you.

Best wishes and best of luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi how many cups of water have been taken per day and what is the body height and weight?

Have lots of blood draws been done before so there is scar tissue?

Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
(female)

me38 HB User

I usually also have this problem. I get stuck at the pathologist because they cannot get blood from me. Once they even called a doctor from the ER to draw the blood (successfully at least!). As a result, they always use a butterfly to draw blood, and if they don't have any luck with my arm, they move to my hand, which has only failed once. When this happened, they resorted to drawing blood from my foot.
Just suck it up if it's something that has to be done.
Good luck

Last edited by me38; 05-10-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi of course if one does not drink the amount of water needed of course there would not be enough to draw properly it would be dehydrated and lessened in amount and the blood would be harder to draw. Drinking several glasses of water a half hour before the appointment may be good if it is allowed. If not then the day before one needs to be sure that plenty of water and perhaps even just a bit extra is taken.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
me38 (05-11-2011)
Closed Thread