It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

dl45 HB User
Petechaie? Help?!

Over the past 6 months, I noticed I have developed petechaie mostly on my calves. I saw my doctor, who did not appear too concerned, nor did the nurse practitioners at my school's infirmary. However, within the past week or so, I noticed these little spots are beginning to multiply and there were several clusters of them. I pointed out a cluster to the nurse at the infirmary, and again, she told me "it was nothing to lose sleep over". Over the weekend, I noticed a strange looking patch that looked like I had razor burn, but it was flat and under the skin. By the time I took a shower that night, it was entirely gone. However, the ones on my legs remain.

Call me paranoid, but is it wrong for me to want some sort of blood work? About a year ago I had extensive blood work done (for an unrelated issue, my father suffered from a stroke and my doctor wanted to make sure my blood was ok before switching to a stronger birth control) everything came back normal except the 'Protein S' panel, and I was refered to a hemotologist. He basically told me I couldn't take the pill, told me to stay off, and have my docs retest after a month and a half. I was retested, everything came back 100% normal except for a slightly low iron level, and was told I could take the pill again. I haven't received any sort of blood work since that time.

I don't really know what to do at this point, I look at my legs and all I can see are these dots and everything about all these serious illnesses that I have read about infest my mind. I do not bruise easily and if I do it heals in a short period of time. Over the past two days I have experienced some dull chest pain. I attempted to run, and this did not appear to have any impact on my chest/heart as I felt normal and not out of breath. i have always been healthy, seldom drink, do not smoke, and I am in good shape. Should I go back to the infirmary? I am just afraid they will tell me the same thing again : (

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Petechaie? Help?!

My daughter had a blood disease that gave her petechaie and I can tell you, if something is really wrong, you will know soon enough. The petechiae on her legs became huge bruises that got bigger with time instead of getting smaller. and the ones on her arms, trunk and face, also got more and more profuse. She was losing the ability to clot her blood.

But many people get them on their legs just from the force of gravity. Blood has a tough time getting back up to the heart when we are on our feet, so the veins have to push harder and sometimes it forces tiny amounts of blood out into the skin. As long as it stays in the legs and doesn't start to mushroom into bigger and bigger areas, then you should be okay. But if those areas do get bigger and start to look like bruises, then go to the infirmary and ask them to check your clotting time and other factors.

One way to keep track of them is to use your digital camera or phone and take pictures of the petechaie. You can go back once a week and check what you have now as opposed to what you had a week before. If they are consistently going down or disappearing, then you should be okay. If they are growing, then you have a visual record to show the nurse or MD at the infirmary.

good luck..............Jenny

Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

dl45 HB User
Re: Petechaie? Help?!

Thank you for you response, Jenny. I visited my doctor again Friday and she thought it was foliculitis and prescirbed me an antibiotic...However, I still think it is petechaie. The dots are still there days after taking the medication. I have had them for months but they do not get larger and I very rarely bruise.
Due to the chest pain they gave me an EKG and that came out normal. I have been experiencing headaches on and off for days and my back hurts. My doctor took several vials of blood so I am hoping I will get to the bottom of this soon. thanks for your concern

Closed Thread