It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
filter for blood clot (dvt)

Has anyone had a filter put in after their FIRST dvt?

My husband has a blood clot from his groin to his ankle, and a pulmonary embolism due to a piece of the clot breaking free and traveling to his lungs. That was in April. They said then (at the hospital) that he should have a filter installed within 30 days.

He finally saw a vascular surgeon today (4 months later) who said "we don't put filters in for a FIRST TIME blood clot. Between the DVT, the embolism and sleep apnea, the right chamber of your heart is struggling to pump efficiently. You can't sustain much more damage and if another clot breaks lose it will probably kill you."

Wouldn't that be reason to install a filter??? Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had a filter installed after your first blood clot or if this doctor was feeding us a line of crap because we have no insurance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
(female)

Towson HB User
Re: filter for blood clot (dvt)

I have the prototype of the filter that was just being used back in 1981. I was only 21 at the time. I had a clot in my leg the size of a golf ball that wouldn't lessen in size even with heprin. The Dr decided that he wanted to use the filter, but the hospital I was in wasn't using it yet. Hopkins was. It was still in the experimental stages at Hopkins. It had been approved by the FDA, but every hospital seems to wait to see what Hopkins has to say about something first.

Once it was installed I didn't have to worry about any emboli from traveling elsewhere. I still get clots from time to tome, but the filter has done its job. Years later, I was seeing a Dr from Hopkins and he told me that he personally, didn't like using the filter because even though it took care of the emboli it masked the root of the problem.

I would say that in your case, you go to another Dr. for another opinion. I know that there are a lot of new oral blood thinners out there, I've always taken coumadin, so maybe what you husband is taking might be different than mine and works to help preventing anymore clots. My filter was put in after the first clot, but that was years ago and things do change.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

ncobjim HB User

Had a massive PE in 2006 following surgery. Clot busting drugs were used and saved my life. 2 days later while still in the hospital i had very bad DVT in both legs. They put the filter in that evening. Have had no problems since except for my legs being a little messed up. I don't think they would have put the filter in except for the second round of blood clots.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
(male)

wa5ekh HB User

ask to see the clot...

Closed Thread