It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

timaun HB User
Polycythemia Diet

I am 20 years old and I haven't been feeling well for a while but I have always just attributed it to my anxiety. I recently went to get blood work done before I could start a new school and my doctor recommended that I see a hematologist. During the last few weeks I had been getting tests done and I had gotten one phlebotomy but I was starting to feel worse than ever. Finally, on Friday my hematologist called me with the results of my red cell mass study and told me that I have Polycythemia. I got another phlebotomy today and I will be getting them every week for the time being. I have been told I should really try to avoid eating iron if possible. I don't typically eat a ton of red meat but I want to do whatever I can to prevent this fatigue and dizziness that I'm feeling so I'm wondering what other people with Polycythemia eat to help with those symptoms.

The following user gives a hug of support to timaun:
Pottsey1 (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User
Re: Polycythemia Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by timaun View Post
I am 20 years old and I haven't been feeling well for a while but I have always just attributed it to my anxiety. I recently went to get blood work done before I could start a new school and my doctor recommended that I see a hematologist. During the last few weeks I had been getting tests done and I had gotten one phlebotomy but I was starting to feel worse than ever. Finally, on Friday my hematologist called me with the results of my red cell mass study and told me that I have Polycythemia. I got another phlebotomy today and I will be getting them every week for the time being. I have been told I should really try to avoid eating iron if possible. I don't typically eat a ton of red meat but I want to do whatever I can to prevent this fatigue and dizziness that I'm feeling so I'm wondering what other people with Polycythemia eat to help with those symptoms.
Hi! My name is Randy (w/PV) and soon to be 63 yrs old.I have had PV going on 15 years.I usually eat what I have always eaten.U do need to stay away from anything that has a lot of iron in it;because that builds red blood cells.U can't do the multi-vitamans because most all of them have iron in them.I eat red meat once to twice a week.I take 3 mg anagrilyde a day and two 81 mg aspirin every morning.I pray U can find a way to overcome the fatigue and dizziness!I feel totally exhausted all the time and most dizziness in the morning.I haven't had a phleb in 2 years.I asked my Oncologist about drinking a little red wine at night;and his reply was,sure;it would help thin my blood out.I also take 2 benedryl's every night for itching and it also induces sleep.
Take care and God Bless;
Randy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread