It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

searay660 HB User
Lightbulb Is this a crazy idea? polycythemia

Hi my name is Mike and I was diagnosed with polycythemia vera about 3 years ago. I went through a year of phlebotomy treatments were 250 to 350 ml of blood was drawn. At frist 2 a month and then tapered off to 1 a month. My crit and RBC's dropped as expected and was scheduled for a maintenance program to keep it constant.

Here is my question, I lost my job and medical ins. last May so I have been going to a local clinic which is a pay provider based on income. The DR there who I know is good said according to my blood work my Crit and RBC's are high, again. RBC - 20-21 range. I expected this; however the clinic does not preform any phlebotomy procedures other than blood specimen collection for testing purposes.

So is this a crazy idea ? I do not have ins. and the procedure is expensive but rather easy to do. I was thinking of doing the procedure myself. I would of coarse have my wife with me so if I passed out she would be there. I do not think I would however as I never have before during a procedure. Is this crazy? The process seems very simple to me. I have watched it done countless times and even remember how much blood was removed. This is crazy right? But I really feel I need to control this, comments please!

Last edited by searay660; 10-05-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
(male)

Silksix HB User
Re: Is this a crazy idea? polycythemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay660 View Post
Hi my name is Mike and I was diagnosed with polycythemia vera about 3 years ago. I went through a year of phlebotomy treatments were 250 to 350 ml of blood was drawn. At frist 2 a month and then tapered off to 1 a month. My crit and RBC's dropped as expected and was scheduled for a maintenance program to keep it constant.

Here is my question, I lost my job and medical ins. last May so I have been going to a local clinic which is a pay provider based on income. The DR there who I know is good said according to my blood work my Crit and RBC's are high, again. RBC - 20-21 range. I expected this; however the clinic does not preform any phlebotomy procedures other than blood specimen collection for testing purposes.

So is this a crazy idea ? I do not have ins. and the procedure is expensive but rather easy to do. I was thinking of doing the procedure myself. I would of coarse have my wife with me so if I passed out she would be there. I do not think I would however as I never have before during a procedure. Is this crazy? The process seems very simple to me. I have watched it done countless times and even remember how much blood was removed. This is crazy right? But I really feel I need to control this, comments please!
Mike, really fell badly about your situation, but your wife is not a medical professional and the potential for infections is very high. I suggest going to the public hospitals. Their charges are based upon income. Many, such as Cleveland Clinic will help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Silksix For This Useful Post:
searay660 (10-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
(male)

searay660 HB User

I know it sounds crazy! But here in California free medical services are not really free. They still charge up to 150.00 per visit. Cheaper than going to a regular doc but expensive for me. Thanks for your reply! Like I said I have seen it done and keeping the procedure clean would be very important. My concern is the long term effects for not having the procedure done. I have read that it could be damaging my spleen, heart, etc.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
(male)

Silksix HB User

Mike, Sorry to here this. You and millions of adults and children without health insurance is the reason why we need a national health plan.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User

Mike,something U may think about is going to a local "blood Mobile" drive.They usually test UR iron level and U can confidentially say whether u want them to use UR blood or not;and of course they can't.But U can get rid of the excess blood.I was diagnosed with PV in 2000 and had symptoms dating back to 1994 and I donated blood at the blood mobile without realizing I had this dreaded disease.
Good Luck;
Randy

Closed Thread