It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
(female)

ljw359 HB User
I T P - auto immune disease

Ok.. so I had a huge bruise on my leg and went to the Dr.'s to get it checked out. They did blood work and my platelets had gone down to 32,000. They should be between 150,000-400,000. They were fine in May when I had my full physical. I have been taking Prednisone for 2 months now. This has not helped me at all. More prednisone.. the platelets go up a little. They lower the prednisone.. the platelets go down. At this point I want to just
taper off completely and monitor my now low platelets instead of the suggested Gama Globbin therapy, Rituxin or removal of the Spleen. If my platelets go below 30,ooo I may have to reconsider my options.
Does anyone know if it is at all possible for my platelets to raise again EVER?? I am eating SUPER healthy, vitamins and a vegetarian diet.
I would really appreciate any helpful suggestions from experience ASAP!
Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: I T P - auto immune disease

My daughter had ITP and her platelets went down to 7,000. It took about 4 months of pred and then a taper down to get her platelets up and they have never gone down since. About 6 months total time on pred. If you stop it too soon, you can get a rebound phenomenon and they go even lower that originally so it's better to stay on it until they come up and stay up on their own.

ITP tends to be a self-limiting disorder that will correct with time and meds. If it doesn't, then you need intervention as there is no way to tell if your platelet count is 35,000 or 7,000 and at 7,000, spontaneous bleeds can occur. You might think you are in the 30's only to stroke out and die only to find out you were down to under 10. BTW, the machines they use to count platelets can only count them if over 10,000. Under 10,000. they have to be counted by hand so it is possible to get back a count of "0" if they haven't been hand counted.

My daughter bounced between 7,000 and 50,000 for a good 3 months before it began to climb and stay up so hang in there. This is not a disorder to mess with. It can become rapidly fatal if it goes too low and you get hurt. A simple case of stomach flu caused my daughter to hemorrhage into her entire face from vomiting. Imagine what might happen if you got into a fender-bender on a low platelet day.

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
ljw359 (11-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
(female)

ljw359 HB User

hmm... I noticed you like cats...funny thing.. I have one as well and wondered if this might have been cat related.. my cat and I play and he has bit me too hard at times... just a thought.. believe me.. I KEEP coming up with all different things trying to get to the bottom of this rapid drop of platelets from summer to Sept.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

No one knows why my daughter got it either....that is why it's called idiopathic...cause unknown!

I'm the crazy cat lady and I didn't have it!

Closed Thread