It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

rayon HB User
The latest... platelets

I have just phoned the doctor's surgery to get my blood test. The frequency of migraines has decreased - I had one yesterday and that was the first one in two weeks. (Compare this with 15 in one month, sometimes two a day last month.) That said, my platelets have increased a little - this time it is up to 498. I know this is not high but it is concerning me that my platelets seem to have increased a little bit each time this blood test is repeated - just a few points each time. It has been repeated about three times in the last two months.

I notice that I seem to have indigestion quite a lot - even with exercise I get that horrible acidic burning just below my rib cage. Sometimes I get it on the righthand side under my shoulder blade or into my arm pit. I was disappointed not to be able to enjoy my glass of red wine the other night because it burnt the whole way down!

Other than that and a bit of tiredness I am feeling healthy and well, well enough to do a mild workout at the gym and go about my every day life. I would just like to get to the bottome of what is causing this.

Is there anything I can do to bring my platelets down myself? If I can bring my cholesterol down by diet and exercise, can I do the same for my platelets?

Thanks for all your time!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
(male)

Jakepod34 HB User
Re: The latest... platelets

I am assuming you have went in to get checked by a doctor, but it seems you have celiac disease due to your high platelet count and indigestion. Gluten-free diets are excellent ways to stabilize your blood cell counts. Foods with gluten contain proteins that actually help in the over-production of platelets and their effects. You are having indigestion because your small intestinal lining is negatively reacting with the gluten proteins, causing ineffective absorption of nutrients that keep you healthy. I know it may be tough to get used to, but a gluten free diet will make you feel like a new person after just a few days! I had a professor with celiac disease and she said it really wasn't that bad because she had to eat healthier foods at the same time since she always had to think about what she was going to eat! Good luck and if you have more questions, ask away!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply