It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

Miss KissKiss HB User
Possibly my blood causing problems?

I haven't had any help from doctors so I am hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I have had EKGs, an ultrasound and blood work done. Everything is normal. The only thing unusual I have been told were by nurses who said I had thick blood (after trying to draw it out) and that I have a low heart rate. And I feel like that is linked to my condition.

For the past year and a half I have been experiencing heart problems where it will beat extremely hard. At times it will get so bad that I cannot move fast or sometimes hardly at all without it getting worse. I feel like I could have a heart attack when it happens. I cannot sleep because it gets much worse when I lay down. Also It seems to act up after eating fatty foods but not always.

Other symptoms are a tight or pinching feeling in the chest. Sometimes I will get a pinching or funny feeling in other parts of my body such as my legs or head. The past couple of weeks I have been getting a tight pain in my right arm, especially when I lay down or at work. There is also a rash there but I believe it's unrelated and the skin isn't what is causing the pain.

I believe I possibly may have had a stroke too. One day I woke up without feeling in half my face. When I smiled only one half would move. It lasted the whole day or so. I didn't go to the doctor to see what it was from. But it was after a bad night of the heart issues.

Some other things I am experiencing but am not sure if it is related or not are.... chronic fatigue, I do not know what's causing it but I have always been like this and it's getting worse, itchy, dry, flaky skin, PCOS and difficulties sleeping at night.

Anyone have any ideas? And what type of doctor should I be seeing? A cardio? I can't seem to find any good ones. The last one is an internal doctor and thinks it's from dust/pollen allergies which seems ridiculous to me since allergies seldom bother me. She tells me it's palpitations which I know what feels like and it's not that. I am only 27.

Last edited by Miss KissKiss; 05-03-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
(female)

Clarityc HB User
Re: Possibly my blood causing problems?

Hi,

A palpitation just means an 'abnormal perception of your heartbeat' so it is likely that you are experiencing them. However there are many kinds of palpitations and they can present in different ways.

Some kinds of palpitations are 'paroxysmal' (coming and going) and thus you could have a conduction problem that wasn't picked up on the EKG you had. The fact that the blood work (presumably a full blood count (FBE)) was normal does make a problem like polycythemia (thick blood) much less likely.

The pain in your chest and arm does sound like it has a cardiac origin (it sounds like angina), and the transient neurologic symptoms in your face sound like a Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA) which can also stem from a heart condition. These symptoms in a young woman like yourself suggest an underlying (though treatable) problem, and my guess without taking a full history would be a relatively common condition called Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation.

You should probably be investigated with cardiology, and the next step is probably to have a 24hr 'Holter' EKG monitor.

C.

Reply Reply