It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

MarJol HB UserMarJol HB User
Prolonged PT PTT & Tiny Red Spots All Over Body

I'm a 28 healthy weight female. I went to my primary care doctor in Nov. '11 and had my yearly physical. He did lots of blood work and everything looked great except that my PT and PTT test was prolonged and he just explained that my blood was taking a little longer to clot then it should. He said there was no treatment but to stay away from Aspirin. Everything was going great until 2 weeks ago when I noticed that I had tons of TINY (the size of a pinpoint) red spots on my upper arms. Within days they were all over my body. I have them from the scalp down to my ankles. It seems like new ones come up daily. Some have gotten large but all are still small. They feel like they are just slightly raised but not much. I quickly went back to the doctor and he sent me to the hospital for more blood work. They retested my PT and PTT along with 3 other blood clotting tests. One of the other 3 was Von Willebrand disease. He suspects that these pinpoint red spots are from a blood clotting issue. When I went back to see him there were only 2 of the 5 test results that had come back. The two that were back were the PT & PTT which were both still showing as prolonged. I'm still waiting on the other 3. He did tell me that he wanted me to go to a Hematologist at this point since he just didn't know enough to tell me anything. I have to wait until the 28th to see this Hematologist so I'm staying SO WORRIED. I cannot even sleep because I have no idea what is going on in my body. My primary doctor said it looks to him like blood that are coming to the surface of my skin but he doesn't understand why. Has anyone else had this type of thing happen to them? I'm in tears daily, depressed, and cannot sleep at night.
I can tell you that my mother was born with blood clots on her arms and had them removed. She also has hematoma marks under the skin on her arms. Also, her mother had a blood clotting issue. My mother use to say that she was a "free bleeder" I'm sure these issues are somewhat related but they have never had these little red spots all over like I do. I'm just so worried and I cannot handle all the waiting. I'm starting to wonder if these little spots will ever absorb back into my skin or if they are here to stay. At this point I don't care so long as I'm going to live a normal life. I'm just so worried that there is something seriously wrong with me.

The following user gives a hug of support to MarJol:
Jazzmin2012 (05-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
(male)

Jazzmin2012 HB User
Re: Prolonged PT PTT & Tiny Red Spots All Over Body

Over the last couple of months I to have noticed these tiny pin sized red spots. They started on my chest and now have moved to all parts of my body.

Do you suffer from any other symptoms other than stress?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

Hi Jazzmin -

Mine started on my arms and chest also and now I have them all over. It seems like I find more each day. They don't itch or feel irritated but they are alarming to see all over my body. My doctor seems to think it is related to the fact that I took an aspirin a week prior to seeing these spots but I just don't see how that is the case. I'm still waiting to see a hematologist on the 28th so I'll post what he has to say just as soon as I find out. I'm sure he'll do more blood work when I go. I just hate the waiting part.

I've also recently started noticing that I'm getting spider veins on the upper part of my stomach (right under my chest) and also on my upper legs. It seems like they have just come up over night.

Are you having any symptoms?

Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
(female)

I also get very bad headaches on a weekly basis. I will have at least 1 per week but sometimes 2-3. However, I've had them for 10 years and I doubt that is related to what is going on now.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
(male)

Jazzmin2012 HB User

I too get headaches on and off for the last 10 years or more. I also seem to have a "rumble gut" feeling that I've had since about the middle of March that wont go away unless I take Prilosec or something. I am going to see a doctor this week, I just hope it is not Meningitis or something worse. This has been stressing me out to the point I cannot sleep well. It has really started to effect my personal life.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
(female)

Oh, yes, I have gut issues too. I've had them for the past 2 years but I've had terrible insurance with a high deductible so I haven't really had it checked out. I know that sounds terrible to say but everything is so expensive. One MRI is $5,000! I have a lot of bloating and discomfort under my right rib cage. Sometimes I feel like I have an organ around that area that is enlarged but that would be a liver issue or gallbladder issue I'm guessing. My blood tests from Nov. 11 showed that my liver was fine. I'm not sure what to think anymore.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Do you have a copy of you lab report? What was your platelet count? Low platelet counts are related to poor clotting and will cause those "red spots" (petechiae). Petechiae do resorb once the condition causing them reverses.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
(male)

Jazzmin2012 HB User

I will be seeing my Doctor tomorrow and will hopefully be able to put my mind to rest. The one thing that I can think that might be reoccurring in my life is a shingle problem. The reason I say this is because I had it once when I was 24 years old, I am now 37. I am also very allergic to any forms of mold. I lived in a studio loft apartment for nearly 10 years and the place had a leaky roof in several locations throughout the apartment. The last 2 years I was there the bedroom that I stayed in started to form mold spores on some of the ceiling tiles and I'm pretty sure that breathing the air in that place was harmful to my health. I have bought a house at the first of this year but it has a basement and I am starting to wonder if it too might have a mold problem because it smells sort of musky but then again just about all basements do. So to make a long story short I might have a Candida infection from all the mold exposure. I'm obviously not a doctor nor am I trying to self-diagnose myself but I have just about all the classic symptoms of Candida, which is a VERY LONG list if you were to look it up. Anyway, I will be seeing the Doc tomorrow and hopefully he won't be giving me a death sentence!

As for the tiny red spots that I get, they still show up all over my body but normally go away after 3 to 5 days but it always seems that new ones appear. I keep my head shaved and noticed the other day that I have a few on top of my head now, which is embarrassing. I am also a musician so I am in front of the public quite often and I am very self conscious about it.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

Hi Midwest - My primary care doctor didn't mention anything about low platelets but then again I didn't ask him. I didn't even know to ask him to be honest or else I would have. He just said your blood work looks great except for prolonged PT & PTT which means that your blood is taking a little longer then it should to clot. I asked if there was any treatment for it and he said not at this point. Then all these spots come up all over my body months later. I googled and noticed petechiae and mentioned that to my doctor who quickly said "OH NO..it is not that". If you haven't noticed, he has no bedside manner so its hard to try to explain things to him and get a clear response. I've had these spots for about 3 weeks now and none have gone away at this point. I'm hoping a good self tanner will cover them if they are here for the long haul. I'll keep you posted on the hematologist report. It is a week from today. I'm scared and curious all at the same time.

Jazzmin - I wish you the best of luck with the doctor tomorrow. Please let us know what he says about your spots and other health issue. I feel for you about the mold. I just purchased a house about 7 months ago and I just found that it too has mold in the attic. I didn't even noticed a leaky spot in the ceiling where the closet is. I purchased a mold test kit and there it was. Within days it was covering the test dish. So, now I get to spend more money on a roof and doctors visits. Aint Life Grant!

That must be hard on you to be in the spotlight and have the spots all over. I worry about people noticing when I wear sleeveless tops since mine are worse on my upper arms. I've actually been wearing a lightweight hoodie for the past few weeks even though it is 90 degrees outside. I haven't tried any self tanner to cover them yet because I want to see the doctor first and make sure that nothing else irritates my skin.

Please keep me posted and good luck to you at the doctor.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

dixter HB User

Has your doctor checked if you have a Vitamin K deficiency?
Ask your doctor if you should take a vitamin K supplement.
I on the other hand have 2 genetic factors for having blood clots. My factors are Anti prothrombin antibodies and the lupus anticoagulant. I have to keep my vitamin K low.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
(female)

I'm not sure about the vitamin K deficiency but that is something I'll be sure to bring up to the Hematologist on Monday.

You mentioned that you have a blood clotting issue. I was wondering how yours is treated. Do you have to take any medications or do you just have to be careful not to do certain things? I'm very clueless on this type of thing and I know it varies depending on what you have going on but I was just curious.

Thank You for your input! I appreciate anyone who takes the time out to read about my problems :-)

Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

dixter HB User

Iím 67, Never had any idea of my condition. Iíve had a pin put in my hip at age 8, had both knees replaced at age 60 and 62 with no problems.
At age 63 the doctors found that I had a none malignant brain tumor the neurosurgeon removed it and now I have a plate in my head. Two
weeks after the surgery I was at home and my left breast was painful and I couldnít eat or sleep. I went to see my Internist and he said it could
be just my pectoral muscle and sent me home. The following day my wife called the Internist and I was told to go to the hospital.
They found I had 3 clots in my left lung and 2 in my right lung. the doctors called the neurosurgeon who said to start me on Heparin ASAP and the
neurosurgeon at the local hospital agreed but every other doctor that were overseeing me said no. It was only 2 weeks after the surgery and that
I could have a brain bleed. They put a filter in me and said they will put me on Lovenox for 4 weeks and then on heparin. Blood tests said I had 2
of the 8 factors for clots. After I finished the round of heparin they wanted to put me on a 81 mg. aspirin. I told them aspirin can cause bleeding and
a stroke they insisted and a few weeks later I had 4 clots 2 in each leg and another round of Lovenox. They decided to put me on Coumadin and an aspirin
I said are you crazy! aspirin and Coumadin are you looking for me to bleed and have a stroke! They decided no aspirin. So Iím on the rat poison Coumadin.
Coumadin is used in the bait for rat poison. I had my son and daughter tested and they donít have any factors so my grandchildren wont have it.
My brother was tested and has 1 factor his daughter has 1 and my sister has 1. The only thing I can figure is my father died at age 89 and never had
any problems. My mother died at age 32 of breast cancer so I can only assume it was on my mothers side. I go to the gym 5 days per week I have to be careful about cuts and bruises. It's very difficult watching my K intake. If you speak to your doctor about K vitamin
and he says OK look on the internet about foods with high vitamin K Itís mostly in dark green veg.

The Following User Says Thank You to dixter For This Useful Post:
MarJol (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
(female)

Dixter - My heart goes out to you! I'm am glad to hear that your children and grandchildren are in the clear. Wow, I cannot even believe how hard it is to find doctors who are all on the same page. It sounds like you had a major issue with that. I'm hoping that this new doctor is a good one. Where I live there are only 3 hematologists so I'm limited on where I can go and who I can see. Also, my insurance will only cover 1 of the 3 so I guess that made the decision for me.

I'm certain that my mother has passed this blood issue on to me. My father is 73, active, and has never had any major medication issues. He has high blood pressure but it is rare to find people who don't these days.

My mother was born with blood clots all over her arm and had them removed. She still has visible blood right at the surface of the skin that runs all along her right arm and hand. It has been there since birth. Her doctor told her to be careful to never get cut. She also has these tiny pin point spots that I have although not as many. My doctor insisted her spots were different and passed it off but they are EXACTLY the same. My mother told me the other day that she is 65 and still kicking so I should worry. I guess I just always expect the worst.

I wish you the best of health and hope you find the treatment that is right for you. Thanks for sharing your story with me. I'll post again on Monday after my dreaded appointment.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
(female)

Well, I am back from the Hematologist. I loved this doctor (just on a side note). He was so friendly and caring. Anyway, they took 6 more viles of blood today and he said that my white and red blood cell counts were excellent. He suspects that all of this started because of aspirin. He thinks that I am allergic to aspirin! He wants to retest my blood again next week but he also mentioned that although my blood tested negative for Von Willebrand disease it was in the "normal high" range. He wanted to check and see what blood type I am. He said that if I am type O then it was normal to see this type of elevation in my lab results. I actually brought my mother with me so he could look at her arms and how she was born with mass hemangioma but he said there was no relation to my blood issues. He said that he'll know more on Monday once the rest of my blood work is back but he suspects it is aspirin. I also mentioned the spider veins that were coming up quickly and he said that I probably have a vascular disorder that is really just cosmetic. My grandmother and aunt both had very veiny legs so lucky me. Oh, and he did mention that the little pinpoint spots should go away.
If anything changes then I'll repost but thanks to everyone for reading! I appreciate all the info and support. I wish you all the best of health.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
(male)

forehand36 HB User

Hi MarJol

Doubt that you will ever get to read this e mail i am writing to you.

and i don't have much important to say other than i was glad to see the final post - basically allergic reaction to aspirin had you worried, not able to sleep and very scared and crying.

well, i am waiting to hear from a hematologist myself right now, scared, not able to sleep. not crying yet.

my gp says he is concerned about my low RBC - 3.97 and my low WBC - 3.5. He wants to have a second opinion.

i looked up possible reasons for low RBC and low WBC, and none of them sounds something that can be cured easily.

I have always had low RBC, although it came down slightly at the same time WBC came down. (from the usual 6.1 to 3.5 for the past two months)

well, the reason why i'm writing this to you and myself is that i hope i get the same results as you. something silly and something i can laugh about over a drink few months later.

anyways, Marjol, I wish you did not end up having any other complications after the initial diagnosis.

Good Luck to Every One of US!

Reply Reply

Tags
pt ptt