It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

celinaeve1 HB User
Thalassemia Minor?

In my blood work, I consistently have small, pale blood cells. There is, however, an abundance if them. Because of this consistent abnormality in my blood work results, I requested a blood test for thalassemia minor. My family is Italian so this could be a possibility. I didn't understand the test results. It stated that the hemoglobin appeared to be normal but thalassemia was not ruled out nd remained a possibility. I don't think whatever test done was adequate. My question is: what are the most common causes of consistently small and pale blood cells? My doctor said I am NOT anemic, presumably because I have enough cells, albeit they are small and pale.

I think thalassemia minor is the most likely culprit, but my doctor says that testing for it won't do me much good because there is nothing that can be done about it and it's clinically insignificant. I have suffered from fatigue for years, and many members of my family have a high heart rate, as do I. I've always attributed the fatigue to the fact that I also have pcos (I am thin, but highly resistant case). Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
(female)

doxielove HB User
Re: Thalassemia Minor?

I have the same thing, consistently small rbc and high rbc count. I have been told I was anemic and to take iron. My last doctor said no I wasn't anemic and to stop iron. She ran a Hemoglobin Electrophoresis test and that was normal. So she consulted with a Hematologist and they said I most likely have Alpha Thalassemia Minor. And so now I see that she has that as a diagnosis in my file. For the Minor form there is no cure and nothing you can do for it except for maybe take more vitamins. Its common in certain ethnic groups, none of which I am. I am of German/Scandinavian descent and so I am quite confused about where this came from.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply