It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

AnneRob HB User
high blood platelet count

Hello,

I recently had a routine check up and found out that my blood platelets count is 987,000 which is above the normal range of 150,000-450,000. I am a female, 62 years old, and do not have any medical condition. I was wondering what would be the cause for this high number of platelets and how can I reduce it? I also have to mention that I take a 75mg aspirin on a daily basis.

I googled high blood platelets and the result was a lot of scary information.

Last edited by AnneRob; 06-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
(female)

lynette spell HB User
Re: high blood platelet count

sorry im not replying with an answer, but as one with mutual issue..had bloodwork and was called home with results by an unknowledgeable person stating my platelets were at 804,000, i am 54 years old with IBS. and when I asked is this in normal range the "young sounding person" says its only slightly elevated. when i asked if she could have dr. call me she said she could give me an appointment in 7 days. so, i still don't know what causes this elevation...SO ANNEROB, have you received any answers to your situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
(female)

AnneRob HB User

My doctor advised me to 1) continue taking my daily aspirins 2) take fish oil supplements, 3) drink pomegranate juice and lots of water.. I will go to have another test in 3 weeks time to see if there has been any change. It would be great to know what your doctor says..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
(male)

Pottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB UserPottsey1 HB User

Hi AnneRob!I would think it most pertinent for U to see a doctor that specialize's in Oncology/Hematology.I wonder do U feel extreme fatigue,anxiety,tightness across ur chest at times,random itching,red/flush looking face,tingling in fingers and toes,restless sleep,blood shot looking eyes?I had these symptoms from 1994 until 2000.Then at an annual physical in 2000 my blood work showed my blood counts relatively high (near 1 million).The Dr. referred me to an Oncologist/Hematologist and he did a bone marrow test and when the report came back I was told I had Polycythemia Vera.He told me it was not cancer and there was no cure known for it;but,is treatable.So;I am almost 64 yrs old and was diagnosed at age 52.
I pray U can find out what is going on with ur counts.I know the medical system in Britain is somewhat difficult at times.
Best of Luck and God Bless;
Randy

Reply Reply