It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Blood and Blood Vessel Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
(female)

4meandme HB User
high wbc (mainly neutrophils), and platelets

Hello, guys. My primary doctor has referred me to a hematologist because I have had fluctuating wbc counts and platelets. In November, my wbc was 10.9, slightly above normal, then I retested in a month, they were 15.9, then 12.1, 13.1, and now 14.5. My platelets seems to follow the same pattern. I am a little concerned about Chronic Mylegenous Leukemia. I asked my primary if he thought it was leukemia, and he said no, but he just wanted to make sure. Are there any others with the same problem. As of monday, platelets were 589,000 normal bein no more than 450,000

PS. My differential did not show any blast or inconsistent ranges.

PLEASE HELP

Old 09-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
(female)

missdowndazed HB User
Re: high wbc (mainly neutrophils), and platelets

Hello, I was just searching the web for something similar to my condition and I found your thread. I have been having the same problems. No doctor seems to care and aI keep readinabout bone marrow disease and cancer. I was wondering if maybe you have found any answers yet? I'm lost and tired of going to doctors, doing the same test with same abnormal results and no answers. Any info would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

4meandme HB User

Yes, I have been two a hematologist twice since then. Each time my platelets and WBC have gone down. I go back again October 19th. He told me that I have no signs of leukemia or other cancers. I have essential thrombocytosis-there is no known cause for my elevated platelets. I go back every three months to keep check on my blood. I have been doing great, and I am constantly praying to God that he will heal me and normalize my WBC and platelets. I hope this helps. Don't hesitate to post if you have any questions.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

missdowndazed HB User

I have read about thrombocytosis but, that isn't really an acceptak answer for me. Have you had any symptoms or physical symptoms? And what all came back abnormal, what were the levels? I have had wbc high, platelet high, neutrophils high and others. Plus physical symptoms. No one seems to know or care...

Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
(female)

4meandme HB User

I do not have any physical symptoms. My wbc was 13.0 and my platelets were 560,000. I have been tested for leukemia and other cancers, and I thank God I don't have any of the other cancers or blood disorders. How high are your numbers?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
(male)

Jim7790 HB User

I too am experencing this my numbers are 14.2 and 785,000 I have been back 6 times since July, 42 vials of blood taken they have ran ct scans mri and bone marrow biopsy. Say I am cancer and lukiema free but called last Monday and want me to start chemo in pill form {Hydrea} to lower these levels. They say all the factors are there that if not treated now I could have a heart attack or stroke or enter a lukiema stage because of the platlets being so high and my blood is basically jellingThis is a drug that kills the cells they are telling me and depending on what the counts do it could be a lifetime deal and the reactions by the cells will set the dosage.Has anyone else heard of this or had this diagnosis,seems alful radical to me seeing as how there could be other underlying conditions that has not been examined as of yet

Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
(female)

missdowndazed HB User

I haven't heard of any of that, but then again I don't have insurance or the money to have the tests done that you have. I had one doctor say it could be cancer or a cold, but I wasn't ill and its been like this for over three years. Could be longer but that's when I first had blood work. One doctor said that it's higher in smokers, I quit and still high. One doctor says it's nothing. But if it were low she'd be worried, because I could bleed out. I'm thinking.... You dumb b&!@?$, if I could bleed out from it being low, what about clotting since it's high...I'm tired of going doctor to doctor. Wasting money. Getting no answers.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
(female)

AmberP333 HB User

You need to get tested for JAK2 gene. My husband has high platelets and high WBC...neutrophils are high.. After FORCING (i had to yell and cuss) our primary care dr to send him to hospital because of severe headaches....they did CBC and CT scan of his brain...said everything was fine....however...they didn't bother to tell us his platelets were 911 and his WBC was 14.2, neutrophils were 82. We were referred to Neurologist who ordered an MRI....they called us the next more and said to go to the hospital and they had a room already ready for him, he was being directly admitted. MRI revealed Cerebral Venous Thrombis (in Left transverse sinus and sigmoid sinus...and partial thrombosis in superior Sagittal sinus)...in other words, his veins that drain blood out of his brain were clogged up with blood clots. We were in the hospital for 6days....they sent him home on high does of blood thinners. So that was one problem. Now, back to bloodwork... A week later (last week), the Hematology Oncologist called us in....he has a a Myleoproliferative Disorder....a very rare form of a type of blood cancer (can turn into Chronic Myleoid Leukemia)....called Essential Thrombocythemia.

It is INCURABLE. For now, he is on Coumadin, which is a blood thinner, and HYDROXYUREA , which is a chemotherapy drug. THIS OFTEN GOES UNDETECTED....THE JAK2 mutation is usually a common factor in patients diagnosed with this. MOST HEMATOLOGISTS AND ONCOLOGISTS DO NOT OFTEN TREAT THIS, AS IT IS SO RARE....BRING IT UP...MAKE THEM TEST YOU.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-24-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
(female)

missdowndazed HB User

Wow thanks a lot for that info. I've been ordered an mri but I just can't afford it right now. I too get the most awful migraine sometimes for two or three days. Ill def have to check into this.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
(female)

cheerus HB User
Smile Re: high wbc (mainly neutrophils), and platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandme View Post
Hello, guys. My primary doctor has referred me to a hematologist because I have had fluctuating wbc counts and platelets. In November, my wbc was 10.9, slightly above normal, then I retested in a month, they were 15.9, then 12.1, 13.1, and now 14.5. My platelets seems to follow the same pattern. I am a little concerned about Chronic Mylegenous Leukemia. I asked my primary if he thought it was leukemia, and he said no, but he just wanted to make sure. Are there any others with the same problem. As of monday, platelets were 589,000 normal bein no more than 450,000

PS. My differential did not show any blast or inconsistent ranges.

PLEASE HELP
Hi 4me, I Just read your post. I Have had a High White Blood count for the last 8 years now. I Have been to an oncologist & by my request had a bone Marrow biopsy just showed High white blood counts in blood & bone marrow. No Abnormalities No cancers no blasts. I Get checked every 3 months my wbc ranges /varies from 22,000 to 13,000.I Am on a drug I Take called Lithium that can increase my white blood count. I Am concerned about developing a Leukemia in the future possibly as well if my wbc continues to be so high.Is there Anyone that has had the same problem with years of a high wbc that has evetually turned into Luekemia?? Anyone?? can Answer Or Anyone with Leukemia should I be concerned??Or am I Worrying too much.

Reply Reply